Craftsmanship > Accoutrements

Screw Tip Horn

<< < (2/3) > >>

BEAVERMAN:
Ya know I think that old BS is starting to get the hang or making powder horns!  ;)

Bigsmoke:
Well, I don't know if I am really getting the hang of it, but I am getting close.
Over on You Tube, I found a segment of making a horn tip.  It is not quite how I do it, but the result is the same.  Instead of spending an hour on making a tutorial about it, here is a link to this guy's technique.  I do it a bit differently, and I surely do not go to the same barber.

John (Bigsmoke)

BEAVERMAN:
Never too old to learn something new, never ever thought of oil my drill bits for horn, makes sense, OK so we have the tutorial on turning an applied tip, now we need the screw tip portion, get that phone out smoke and get to recording!

Bigsmoke:
I have used vegetable oil to cut threads on the horn and on the tip, but never even thought of using it on the drill bits.  Frankly, I don't see where it is even necessary, unless you have stock in a vegetable oil company.
I think that because I drill pretty slowly and I don't get any smoke coming off the bit, it is not really necessary.  But, next time I drill some horn, I will give it a try and see how it works.

John (Bigsmoke)

BEAVERMAN:

--- Quote from: Bigsmoke on December 01, 2023, 06:17:41 PM ---I have used vegetable oil to cut threads on the horn and on the tip, but never even thought of using it on the drill bits.  Frankly, I don't see where it is even necessary, unless you have stock in a vegetable oil company.
I think that because I drill pretty slowly and I don't get any smoke coming off the bit, it is not really necessary.  But, next time I drill some horn, I will give it a try and see how it works.

John (Bigsmoke)

--- End quote ---

I was referring to lathe drilling a tip, when I drill a whole horn tip I use and old school Stanley hand crank drill, works great and easy to control, especially twist drill bits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version