Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > Shooting the Bow

Korean Archery

(1/3) > >>

Sir Michael:
I don't know nuthin' about nuthin' when it comes to bent sticks so having said this here goes.

I was watching a Korean movie the other night and it revolved around an archer.  Is several scenes he used a "U" shaped channel to hold his arrow while shooting very long ranges and for shooting very short arrows.  What gives? :?  :?

Fletcher:
Was he also shooting off the opposite side of the bow from what you would consider
'normal' and was he using a thumb ring for the draw?

All of these differences are common with archery in the 'far east'

What was the name of the Movie? - sounds like something I would like to see.

Sir Michael:
The name of the movie is "War of the Arrows".
He appears to use it to shoot arrows too short to reach from the drawn string and the bow.
He holds the channel piece just as he would an arrow.
There is a string loop attached to the channel piece which he wraps around the fingers of the hand pulling the string so that when the string is released the arrow knocked on the string slides along channel face while it remains in the drawn position.

Like I said I don't know nuttin' about nuttin' in regards to this subject.  Just curious.

There was also a pure Hollywood or what ever feature that was a cornerstone of the action in addition to the channel device.  The protagonist also used a technique of rotating the arrow and string 90 deg. putting a spin on the arrow and making it curve around obstacles to hit hidden targets.  But I assume that that part is pure fantasy like whipping a pistol to make the bullet curve in flight.

Spotted Bull:

--- Quote from: "Sir Michael" --- But I assume that that part is pure fantasy like whipping a pistol to make the bullet curve in flight.
--- End quote ---

You mean Anjolina Jolie can't really do that?

I'm gonna have to find that movie...sounds interesting.

Cannonball:
It was probably a representation of an early "overdraw". We know that there have been several civilizations over the past centuries that have utilized a "table" over the forearm of the Bow hand. This allows a much shorter arrow to be shot off the bow which provides an extended cast. I have seen research on the Turkish tribes and some of the "Near East" tribes during the last 1000 years that have used the same thing. The Turks and Scythians were reknowned for casting arrows from their bows over 900 yards. Imagine being an army just over the horizon and wake up to arrows raining down on you and you can't see the enemy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version