Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > Shooting the Bow

Korean Archery

<< < (3/3)

bluelake:
I was happily surprised to see this thread.  I know the movie well; although it was called in English, "War of the Arrows", the actual Korean title is "Bow: The Ultimate Weapon".  

The device you are talking about is called a "tong-ah" in Korean; it is a bamboo overdraw.  The half-size arrows are called "pyeonjeon" (or sometimes "aegisal" or "baby arrow").  I have shot one for many years and they are quite amazing.  With a 50# bow, it shot about 283fps.  Once, I shot an arrow about 1,700 ft. (over a ski hill).  At close distances, the arrow will blow through bag targets.

Attached are two photos; one is of a Korean dressed in Joseon dynasty military uniform shooting the tong-ah and the other is me shooting one (about a decade ago).

Thomas
http://www.koreanarchery.org

Sir Michael:
I was hoping you would find this discussion.  Thanks.   :lol:

bluelake:

--- Quote from: "Sir Michael" ---I was hoping you would find this discussion.  Thanks.   :lol:
--- End quote ---

Twisting the string (rotating the wrist in towards the bow) is a necessary action to "lock" the arrow; it pushes the shaft into the body of the bow, so that it will not move.  As for curving around an obstruction...

Sir Michael:
Imagine that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version