Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > Shooting the Bow

"Traditional Archery"

<< < (2/7) > >>

pathfinder:

--- Quote from: bluelake ---
I've seen snobbishness on all sides.  
quote]

Snobbery?Snobbery? there's no snobbery! But if your not shooting a Trade gun,your not REALLY a shooter!

I recall ALL those years ago,I was @ 6,when Fred Bear would come to our scout's meetings and teach us archery. Now THAT was Traditional! Sure he advocated the use of "glass" bow's now and then,but if I remember right, Wood arrow's were THE ONLY shafts to use! But,that was 53 years ago. And I STILL am in awe of him!

If you want to really go traditional, pick up "Mystic Warrior's of the Plains",by Thomas Mails. Big coffee table style book. I use that book tomake my traditionl archery stuff,along with Ben Hunt's book's.

$1200.00 bow? $110.00 a dozen fer arra's Wheew!  I'm with Fletch,I'll fight like heck for you right to use whatever you want,but............LOL!!!
--- End quote ---

Spotted Bull:
I love traditional archery...cuz I can't afford to shoot anything but the least expensive all-wood-no-training-wheel kinda bows.

But thats all I like anyway...

pathfinder:

--- Quote from: "Spotted Bull" ---I love traditional archery...cuz I can't afford to shoot anything but the least expensive all-wood-no-training-wheel kinda bows.

But thats all I like anyway...
--- End quote ---

I make arrow's from dowels I get from Menard's,self nock,feathers from what I find on the ground,ect.... I was told you cant use feathers like that,you HAVE to have them right wing,left wing,ect.... they seem to work fine,i usually finish pretty good in informal shooting like we do at rendezvous,even with stone tip's!

Uncle Russ:
This thread has warmed me old heart!

I like to "think" traditional, but I ain't, not really. And it kinda hurts to say that.

My dozen Traditional "arrers" came from our own Fletcher, many cold winters ago, and I better not hear of anybody ever shootin 'em! You gotta be kidding!
Not only are they too purdy, but they're are the only traditional arrers I own.

Some arrers were made fer shootin, some fer lookin.
But I have shot 'em, shot 'em a bunch in fact, even kilt me a big ol' ugly possum with one, and anything that will punch a hole through that thick barrier of ugliness has simply gotta be good.

Although my bow itself has been traditional for many years I've always shot Easton's,  actually Carbons in the last few years.
They shoot well, at least as good as my traditional, and if I loose or damage one, it ain't the end of the world.

I went through that stage where my bow looked like it was a direct import from outer space, what with pulleys, cables, sights, over-draws, and trigger releases,  it's no wonder I have a bad back.
But as others have said, there is something about that Longbow that pulls ya like a nail to a magnet, and the release from that attraction is very stubborn....indeed.

I've always looked at it as "Traditional is, as traditional is"....as long as the bow is truly traditional, you're half way there!

Uncle Russ...

Fletcher:
Pathfinder, I got to meet Fred Bear at a Sportsman show in Missoula Montana, I think
it was 1969.  I got his autograph and a patch.  That really floated my boat.  I was so
disappointed when the museum was moved from Grayling MI.  I envy you living so close
to a 'legend'

I got to know Glen St. Charles and Susanne too at the Northwest Archery shop when I
lived near Seattle.  It was a shame to see that museum go as well when Glenn sold off
the property.  I think it all went to the Bear museum now in Florida.

As things change and fade away, it becomes harder to remember, let alone hold on to
the things we all cared for as 'traditional'.  The same is happening in Muzzleloading.

It is so good to have an organization such as TMA to keep the fires alive.

PS - y'all get a chance to read 'Bows on the Little Delta' some time - be sure to do that
(by Glen St. Charles)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version