Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Diabetics

<< < (2/12) > >>

Fletcher:
I am type II and my son is type I

We do Rondys and just eat what we think they ate.  We exercise and have fun.  We just sneak into the tent when we need insulin shots.

Don't know if we would have had this if we lived back then, fer shore we would not have lived very long if so!

Harddog:
I have been insulin dependent for more than 25 years. I have rendezvoused and trekked for longer then that. Lots of good advice given by others above. I usually just plan my food for an outing just like as if I were eating at home. No sugar and low carbs because carbs turn to sugar in your body. Be careful with alcoholic drinks because even though they may have a high sugar content they actually cause your blood sugar to drop.

A couple of things that have not been mentioned. Make sure that someone who is with you knows what to do if your blood sugar goes extremely low or if it goes high enough to present a problem and you are not capable of dealing with the problem yourself. Everyone I trek with knows where to find my diabetes medicine kit which contains, in addition to insulin and syringes, a small squeeze tube of cake decorating frosting in the event I go low blood sugar. Also, if you winter camp or trek make sure your insulin doesn't freeze. Insulin that has been frozen looses a lot of its potency. Carry your insulin in an insulated container even when winter camping. On treks I carry my insulin in a small medicine bag around my neck and keep it between layers of clothes. Not next to flesh, but under enough layers to keep it from freezing.

Randy Hedden

Loyalist Dave:
Im working on sugar free Hazelnut Liquor for the diabetics in the camp I'm usually in.  I'll let you know if it works, and will publish the recipe if it's safe.

LD

Longhunter:
I'm type II, small world ain't it?  

R.M.:
I'd venture a guess that there's a large proportion of us that are diabetic. I'm type 2 taking pills and shots. Have since 1977. It's just something you get used to, mostly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version