Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The other project  (Read 10198 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
Re: The other project
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2021, 04:50:15 PM »
Thank you Joe,now if she shoots,I’ll be a happy hunter,I’m gonna stay out of the shop a few days! At least with guns mommas got some plans with wood involved it’s raining but I may head to the club range today.I could shoot the postal match.
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2021, 05:46:22 PM »
Looking good shootr.Just remember, everyone you build will be an exercise in problem solving. Keep at it. :hairy
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2021, 07:23:25 PM »
Looking good shootr.Just remember, everyone you build will be an exercise in problem solving. Keep at it. :hairy

Same what Hank seez!
I've used a lot of different finish over the years, whatever was in vogue at time, I had to have.
But, I always came back to Tru-Oil, it has served me well.
As a side note; Color of the stock is as individual as ones favorite choice of lube. There ain't no best color, but there are many favorites, and they all serve the owner well.
My favorite is a light red, and IMHO, Shootr has done a bang-up job on this rifle.
I've followed this thread from its start, and like Hank said, your problem solving has improved along with your skills.
Good job!

Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2021, 10:28:37 PM »
What!? .....I thought it was an unwritten agreement that there would be no more problems after this?
 Anyway,going forward,I have nothing against tru oil at all ,I have done many stocks ,much tru oil used,just needed to try something else this time,unlike a marriage,with wood finishes ,I can be promiscuous,I have tried many and avoided some,prefer not to spend weeks or months,have been tempted but I have trouble with long term commitments,where wood is concerned!
 I did just receive a bottle of Dembart continental style stock and checkering oil just today,to late for this but I will find a use.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2021, 03:59:08 PM »
" I thought it was an unwritten agreement that there would be no more problems after this?"

Nope, no such agreement can be found among any group of builders, and or experimenters.....it is pretty much "Carved in Stone" that you Will continue to face problems, and you Will continue to search for Solutions, as long as you are a willing participant.
Many refer to this as the Golden Rule, I prefer to call it Life!

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2021, 05:19:58 PM »
That looks GOOD!  You may have given me the inspiration to refinish the T-C PA Hunter.  Where I pulled the tacks (they are ALL gone now) looks pretty sick.  It's time to get the stripper out and prep this puppy before trying Tru Oil.

Thanks for the kick in the pants!
~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2021, 09:15:18 AM »
Thank you I’m glad to have inspired you.can’t wait to see it! Yesterday I actually got two shots out of the new rifle,one at the range ,low in the white on a TMA target I had printed,it was pouring out but we have a covered shooting line but the target was too wet to save and upon trying to reload ,the 5/16” rod proved too small and flexible for me to do more than get a ball 3” down the bore! ( a good argument for a short starter here -which I did not bring) I had no choice but to pack up and go home. At home I retrieved my short starter and a heavier 3/8” oak rod blank and finished loading the rifle  and advising my wife of my intent went down and shot another target in the yard (,I lease an old farm with lots of land so this is not  problem,) except for my wife ,who yelled “No More!” You did not say it would be that loud!” She is not a shooter. But all was well and ,I cleaned the gun.
  A problem here,I had bought the entry pipe and it is a 3/8 pipe,however a very very tight 3/8” ,so tight that it shaves off wood from a 3/8” rod , I thought i could get away with a 5/16” rod,however,under worse conditions,chilly wet conditions,no short starter,wet hands ,and really flexible hickory 5/16” rod..I was seriously defeated at trying to reload,if I had been hunting -end of hunt and what if I had really, really needed  a second shot, ? What I did to solve this  problem was to basically taper the rods ( I made two rods last night after cleaning the gun) and if I want two brass ends I’ll have to ft a smaller 5/16” tip to the small end  ,right now the one end s just bare wood, the other option I s of course ,refit to a bigger entry pipe. There is not a lot of metal in the present one to drill out. It’s a pretty thin casting.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2021, 10:50:22 AM »
I taper my 3/8" rods as well and have never ran into a problem. I always use a short starter. I don't care one bit if someone claims they aren't traditional - bottom line is that they work, period!

When I tip a loading rod I only tip the end facing the muzzle. That's all I've ever needed, and I have several rifles that I don't bother with tipping the rod at all. Figure out what works for you the best and run with it is my thinking.  :bl th up

Always nice to get that first load and shot through a new rifle or (a reworked one). That first trip to the Range and that first shot will tell you quite a bit. Have fun with it - you've got a lot of time invested in it not to.  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2021, 02:33:01 PM »
I am thoroughly impressed with the way you "improvised, adapted and overcame" each challenge with that rifle.  Looks very good to my eyes.  My red flintlock rifle is one I've had and liked for a long time, red looks good.

I do the same thing with my ramrods that Ohio Joe related.  Sometimes I dispense with a threaded tip completely and make one from antler.  They won't hold a jag but work great for loading.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2021, 07:23:14 PM »
I like that, Hanshi  :hairy

I might just have to try that for my smoothy.  :bl th up

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2021, 09:42:53 PM »
While I have usually used two tips one with a 10/32 thread and one with 8/32, my “ need” for them has never been great  and while I have had to pull a ball with one,it is always with a bit of wondering wether the rod will give before the ball pulls out ,the heavier shop rod is a better candidate for this,and other than that job a plain stick is pretty much all you need to load and shoot ,as long as everything runs smoothly,and I have seen a bunch of old originals with a simple “wiping stick”. [ Invalid Attachment ]

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2021, 11:09:02 PM »
You could tip with a 10/32nds end and get the 8/32nds adaptor,,, thereby only having to tip one end of the ramrod.

For pulling a ball (which I think I've pulled 2 in over 40 years / one for myself - and one for someone else), but I prefer to dabble powder (if possible) behind the ball under the nipple or through the vent.

However, I do keep one rod dedicated for the purpose of pulling a ball. It's made of something similar to fiberglass. I bet I bought that 40+ years ago to be on the safe side.

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2021, 11:22:31 AM »
My experience on that particular job is very similar and I have also done it both ways and enjoyed the feeling when the rod breaks while doing it! I have the unbreakable rod but it is sized  for my renegade to short for this critter I have a solid steel rod I made but I also have an Outers shotgun rod which Is my cleaning rod for all big calibers. I am kind of thinking of getting one of those gunners mate tools I recently saw too.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »
I got to thinking about that build of yours, and the hooked breech plug...

My guess is (but I might be wrong) is that your breech plug probably has the "anti-chamber" and if so, all one would have to do is take out the vent and put fine powder (4fg or 3fg) into that anti chamber, and that would most like be enough to squib shoot a dry ball load out of the barrel. That sure beats the heck out of pulling a ball, and that is (IMHO) the "up" side of an anti-chamber breech plug... Some folks like them, and some don't... Just a matter of preference IMHO...  :shake

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2021, 11:58:53 PM »
And that is a very good point Joe,it’s also somewhat easier with a flintlock or a a drum than a patent breech like my Renegade.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609