Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The other project  (Read 10200 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
Re: The other project
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2021, 11:32:42 PM »
Got some range time this morning Mister Fink was shot from a rest in this pic  [ Invalid Attachment ] to see how and where she grouped she is holding about 2” high but center ,I held on his eyebrow for the last 10  hit [ Invalid Attachment ] this one was offhand  not so good but the dog hunts
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2021, 08:33:27 AM »
As far as short starters go,I have the baddest one I know of ,I tried with and without I just like to have him along [ Invalid Attachment ]  cute little bugger ain’t he?

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2021, 09:00:02 AM »
As far as short starters go,I have to baddest one I know of ,I tried with and without I just like to have him along [ Invalid Attachment ]  cute little bugger ain’t he?

Now that's classic! I like it!!!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2021, 09:59:41 AM »
Now that short starter has some wicked personality!!! :scared:
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2021, 10:34:15 PM »
Now that short starter has some wicked personality!!! :scared:
Same what he seez!

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2021, 04:12:37 PM »
That is one cute little pussycat!  I like it!!  :hairy

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2021, 12:41:41 AM »
 Not to drag this out,as I’m itchin to get on to that Fowler project,but is it usual to have short flint life on a new lock? I was using “French Amber” flints on my first range outing  and after 3-4 shots my flints were sparking but not enough to fire,even after wiping them and the frizzen .whe I changed flints again great spark and great ignition,it is as mentioned a L&R lock and seems to hit really strong, I have to try black English flints next
.I also discover the lock is not tight enough to the barrel ,after reworking the inlet depth awhile it’s still not tight ,I also discovered with a straight edge the barrel side has a concavity with the flash hole being center of it , not much ,but enough to always have a slight gap there between the barrel and bolster ,can’t explain how unless a rookie at Lyman  made it while fitting it? I may have to file it flat myself as I get fouling in the lock areas and maybe other unwanted stuff .if I put a straight  edge on it and shine a light from behind I can see it.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2021, 08:40:14 AM »
Not to drag this out,as I’m itchin to get on to that Fowler project,but is it usual to have short flint life on a new lock? I was using “French Amber” flints on my first range outing  and after 3-4 shots my flints were sparking but not enough to fire,even after wiping them and the frizzen .whe I changed flints again great spark and great ignition,it is as mentioned a L&R lock and seems to hit really strong, I have to try black English flints next
.I also discover the lock is not tight enough to the barrel ,after reworking the inlet depth awhile it’s still not tight ,I also discovered with a straight edge the barrel side has a concavity with the flash hole being center of it , not much ,but enough to always have a slight gap there between the barrel and bolster ,can’t explain how unless a rookie at Lyman  made it while fitting it? I may have to file it flat myself as I get fouling in the lock areas and maybe other unwanted stuff .if I put a straight  edge on it and shine a light from behind I can see it.

Is the flint "bashing the Frizzen head on, or slicing it in a downward motion to shave off sparks? I have found that with all the flintlocks I have that a "slicing / shaving" downward motion of the flint contacting the Frizzen produces the best sparks and longest life for flints. Sometimes you just have to play with the flint and shim up the back bottom side of the flint (with leather / though I have used lead and it works great) to get your proper angle in the jaw,,, and sometimes some knapping is needed. You pretty much just have to play with it a bit.  :shake

I like my flint (on all my locks) to contact the Frizzen in the middle area for longest flint life / though sometimes that rides up to 1/16 inch above the middle of the Frizzen, possibly even 1/8th of an inch.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2021, 05:36:57 PM »
Maybe try using a bit shorter flint.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2021, 08:12:04 PM »
Maybe try using a bit shorter flint.

:hairy  :hairy  :hairy
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2021, 01:37:15 PM »
Or nibbling a notch in the back of the flint so it can sit back further in the jaws before contacting the screw.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2021, 08:33:28 AM »
My black English -rings ?- FLINTS-(my iPad “corrections!)are actually a bit shorter  maybe flipping the flints may also help they do seem to be bashing the- (frozen ) another of its corrections- frizzen by the marks but hitting at 2/3 s up the face of the frozen,thanks for the hints.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2021, 08:57:57 AM »
I put in a new black English flint,bevel up,it may be a bit short,but I used thicker leather,it only hits at the halfway point on the frizzen but seems to slide down the frizzen and scrape good sparks ,where the French amber were larger and hit at two thirds up but the marks seem to be getting bashed into the frizzen.here’s what they look like now [ Invalid Attachment ] ,I used a sharpie to blacken the frizzen for good contrast. [ Invalid Attachment ]

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ] Just another pic of my hottie after another three coats and a new homemade front sight that is a little higher and  looks better ,if a bit rougher .I can’t hep it,I keep wanting to tweak her!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2021, 03:03:27 PM »
As far as short starters go,I have the baddest one I know of ,I tried with and without I just like to have him along [ Invalid Attachment ]  cute little bugger ain’t he?

Okay, okay; let's get this straightened out right now!  That short starter IS THE SOLE REASON FOR ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS!  I know bad juju when I see it and I've seen it before!  Get a REAL juju man to remove the curse, or is it "cuss", from that thing before it causes bore rust, warts, cats & dogs sleeping together and babies being born nekked (slightly different meaning from "naked" but still a Southern semi-synonym).  :bigsmile:
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.