Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

NW Guns

<< < (2/2)

Sir Michael:
Without a certified chain of custody it is impossible to determine the exact origin of any gun especially one almost 250 years old.  Richard Wilson has been documented as a gunmaker for the HBC from 1730-1756.  Did he make enough locks/plates to meet the needs of the Company from 1756 to 1800 I doubt it the Company purchased several thousand guns during this period.  Were his locks used after he stopped making guns, probably.  Were his locks used on guns made by others most likely.  Were his locks taken off original guns and put on new guns with parts from other gun makers almost certainly.  

This begs the question, which parts of flint lock gun constitutes the gun?  The lock, barrel, stock, trigger guard, ram rod thimbles, butt plate, side plate?  1/4 of these parts, 1/2, 3/4s.

Sir Michael:
:?  :?  Why is no one else getting in on this conversation? :?  :?  

Mitch:
Sorry-I haven't done much research into "NW guns"...don't like the way most of them "fit" me..I shoot a fowler with French/Tulle influence and have owned an English Fowler...used to shoot NW trade gun back in the '80s...

tg:
"I've probably babbled on too long and still didn't hit your topic but maybe this will help a bit.'

Your posts were very helpfull in adding source information I do not have. I think I will get Goodings book there is obviously data there that helps put the whole hiastory of the NW gun in perspective when added to Hamiltons and others works, I have  with help answered my questions to my satisfaction, but will likely continue toadd more source material on English guns to my library.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version