Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: My first "custom" muzzleloader.  (Read 1756 times)

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 11:14:32 AM »
looks great Russ :bl th up
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »
Quote from: "Longhunter"
Hey Russ, She's a real looker  8)

Thanks Ron.....
I have to look through my shop real good. I have this naggin feelin that somewhere I already have a mould for a .590
I have sixty plus bullet moulds that I can readily put my hands on, I suspect I have another half dozen or so that keep poppin up every since I moved in here two years ago from across the mountain.

Over there, I had everything all neat in my shop, well at least fairly neat in my shop, but I could put my hand on anything, anytime I wanted it...ain't that way no more. Things still keep popin up from that move.

I do have a Lee S/C .570 that suddenly popped up outta nowhere that most likely has never been used, I might get to try that and a nice thick piece of sail cloth that I have for patchin.

As far as namin the ol'girl, like Ron mentioned, that'll come about before too long.

As far as Cats go, I like cats.
I love dogs, but I like cats too and I have probably owned dozens of cats in my lifetime....right now I have a cat that probably weights 25# plus....she is as big as my wife's little Pomeranian dog.

She's in retirement right now, has been since we moved to town two years ago.
Before that she was a world class "Mouser" and "Red Squirrel" hunter, yep the infamous protected Red Squirrel of Washington.... She loved to eat them little devils.
She is the only cat I've ever owned to respond to a dog whistle.   :shock:

I gotta find me the right mould! I know R.M. is familiar with the terms "Leementing" and "Beagleizing"....probably others here recognize the terms too.
Anyway, I think I will take that .570 Lee and "Leement" the devil outta  it until I get just the right size for this new rifle.  

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 12:19:37 PM »
Russ the box went out this morning, USPS Priority Mail so you should have it by Monday...Tuesday at the latest. I had a bag with 12 .590 balls left in it so I sent those. There's also a little somethin for your "Medicine bag".... :roll eyes
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »
That is one fine smokepole Russ, have fun with shootin' her!
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 02:05:26 PM »
Quote from: "RussB"
Quote from: "Longhunter"
Hey Russ, She's a real looker  8)

Thanks Ron.....
I have to look through my shop real good. I have this naggin feelin that somewhere I already have a mould for a .590
I have sixty plus bullet moulds that I can readily put my hands on, I suspect I have another half dozen or so that keep poppin up every since I moved in here two years ago from across the mountain.

Over there, I had everything all neat in my shop, well at least fairly neat in my shop, but I could put my hand on anything, anytime I wanted it...ain't that way no more. Things still keep popin up from that move.

I do have a Lee S/C .570 that suddenly popped up outta nowhere that most likely has never been used, I might get to try that and a nice thick piece of sail cloth that I have for patchin.

As far as namin the ol'girl, like Ron mentioned, that'll come about before too long.

As far as Cats go, I like cats.
I love dogs, but I like cats too and I have probably owned dozens of cats in my lifetime....right now I have a cat that probably weights 25# plus....she is as big as my wife's little Pomeranian dog.

She's in retirement right now, has been since we moved to town two years ago.
Before that she was a world class "Mouser" and "Red Squirrel" hunter, yep the infamous protected Red Squirrel of Washington.... She loved to eat them little devils.
She is the only cat I've ever owned to respond to a dog whistle.   :shock:

I gotta find me the right mould! I know R.M. is familiar with the terms "Leementing" and "Beagleizing"....probably others here recognize the terms too.
Anyway, I think I will take that .570 Lee and "Leement" the devil outta  it until I get just the right size for this new rifle.  

Uncle Russ...

Russ,... I can honestly say that I've never heard of the terms "Leementing", or, "Beagleizing", and I'm no stranger to casting my own balls.

Care to expand on this?

Thanks,
Rondo
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »
Beautiful gun!! Congrat's. You know I got the "custom bug" bite pretty bad. I never had much money but always found a way to sell or trade or work extra to round up a "custom" pistol or deer rifle or longbow since those things are a passion in my life. Now I am frantically selling and working extra again to round up some beautiful guns like the one you have. Having a one of a kind of sorts that speaks to you personally is so cool and adds so much to the hunt. I got the fever with a regular factory TC Hawken and that was all it took. I killed seven deer with it the first season and then had me a custom built. I just traded it and have a new Hawken in the works and a fowler coming in a couple of weeks. Congrat's on your addition. You have helped me a lot. You really seem like the kind of guy who deserves the best. :-)

Offline Uncle Russ

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 02:46:18 PM »
Russ,... I can honestly say that I've never heard of the terms "Leementing", or, "Beagleizing", and I'm no stranger to casting my own balls.

Care to expand on this?

I was hoping R.M. would come along and do this for me, but here goes.....

Due to the price of the Lee Single Cavity moulds they lend themselves to many abuses. One of those is called "Leementing".

Leementing simply means "enlarging" the hole!

To do this, you cast a regular size ball. remove the ball and get the handles tight together again, open the sprue plate, insert a large nail, then pour a wheel weight (hard) alloy into the mould around the nail....when this cools / hardens, you then remove the ball with the nail in it and dip it in mineral oil, then in Valve Grinding compound...cover the ball really good with compound, then place it in back in the mould with a the nail attached to your hand drill....slowly tighten your grip on the handles while you spin that ball at about 2,000rpm for a minute or so.......remove the ball, clean the cavity real good, and then repeat this process until you get the size ball you need....the very last time you do this, you replace the Valve Grinding Compound with "Red" Rouge. This will polish the interior of the mould, and make for easy drop-out.

Now, a couple of things are important;
You must hold both the mould, and the drill, in near perfect alignment when you are doing this. Years ago, I built a small jig just for this. A drill press, and a small drill vise works wonders here.

There ain't nothing to it....it's just a "thang" some of us do.

I will let RM tell ya about "Beagleizing"...RM is a first rate caster, and like myself he has more moulds than he knows what to do with.
There is nothing I shoot, that I don't cast for...including all my centerfire rifles.
I love it! It's a whole 'nother hobby all in itself.

Uncle Russ.....Oooh! Did you see my new Rifle Gun?
:rotf :clap

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »
Sorry Russ, I just got home. Nice smoke-pole, by the way.

Beagleing, is basically holding the mold open in a controlled fashion to mold an over-size ball/bullet. What is commonly done id to apply a piece of aluminum tape that's used for heating and cooling. Not duct-tape, but the stuff that's shiny. It holds the mold open a bit, and creates an egg shaped projectile, but it does work, so I'm told.
I have used the lapping compound to enlarge a bullet. It works best with the Lee aluminum molds over the steel molds.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 06:09:17 PM »
Oh that is pretty!  I've always loved cherry stocks on guns.  We have some cherry at our farm we are going to be harvesting and I am hoping to get a stock or two out of it after I get the flooring for my cabin made.

Let us know how she shoots!  She's beautiful!
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Offline rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 10:02:59 PM »
Thanks Russ and RM for explaining those "term", both of'em sound interesting. :clap  :hey-hey
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 12:08:55 AM »
It's a beauty Russ!  The enjoyment you're going to have with that very fine smokepole is beyond words!  Congrats on the new addition! :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 12:34:45 AM »
Mighty Purty! She's a beaut Russ. I got my first custom gun a year ago. A .62 cal smoothbore Tulle!

So, is this the reason we are seeing all the guns for sale on the trade blanket? :lol:
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 01:07:43 AM »
Russ, I like that cherry stock! If anyone deserves to have such a great gun, Its you.
              IT must be somthing in the air. I'm about to comitt to having one built inthe next few months. Thats providing i keep this old cancer beat back and can dispose of a piece of property in Fla. Things look promiseing at this time. We should start a group, called the old guys smoothbore corps. Don't forget photos photos photos.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Uncle Russ

(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 01:43:54 AM »
Bless you, Gordy!

I think the good Lord threw away the pattern after he made you, you are truly a man for others to look up to!

Uncle Russ...

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 04:22:37 AM »
Russ thank you for thinking that of me There may be others that would not agree. Did you happen to see the movie The Bucket List?? Well one of the things my list is to have one really nice gun. I guess its a bit selfish but I doubt I'll be comming around tthis way again. The Way I convince myself its not so selfish is I'll pass it on to my grand son who shares the joys of hunting shooting and history.
        Now remember we want many photos of the testing.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013