Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: I Just Had To Order One (Lyman .54 GPR Kit)  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
I Just Had To Order One (Lyman .54 GPR Kit)
« on: August 14, 2017, 09:31:47 PM »
I couldn't stand it any longer and I just had to order me a Lyman GPR .54 Caplock Rifle Kit.  :)

Now I've got the .50 cal GPR Flintlock, but I've been wanting a Caplock GPR since I first saw one decades ago. I thought the .54 TC Caplock kit would fill that Lyman GPR urge 20+ years ago, but it hasn't. Oh, I've taken plenty of deer with that TC Hawken, but the lines on that Lyman GPR look so darn inviting, I just can't stand it anymore. I got's to have me one!  :bl th up

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: I Just Had To Order One (Lyman .54 GPR Kit)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:37:41 PM »
I couldn't stand it any longer and I just had to order me a Lyman GPR .54 Caplock Rifle Kit.  :)

Now I've got the .50 cal GPR Flintlock, but I've been wanting a Caplock GPR since I first saw one decades ago. I thought the .54 TC Caplock kit would fill that Lyman GPR urge 20+ years ago, but it hasn't. Oh, I've taken plenty of deer with that TC Hawken, but the lines on that Lyman GPR look so darn inviting, I just can't stand it anymore. I got's to have me one!  :bl th up

Those dadburn Muzzleloaders...hard on a fellers mind, they are!
They sometimes erase all signs of reasonable thinking.
Not to mention the damage they do to the pocket book!

:hairy

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:41:07 AM »
Most Excellent!  :applaud :hairy  :hairy  :toast  :*:

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:34:23 AM »
Good for tou Joe.I can't wate to see her all dun :applaud :shake :toastun.As handy as you are in your shop tis is going to be good.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:38:28 AM by Roaddog »
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »
I'll most likely make this my Fall project. :bl th up

When I told my wife last night that I planned on getting one she didn't bat-an-eye... All she said was, "you've wanted one of those for along time, haven't you?"

And here I thought she never listened to anything I ever said about muzzle loading firearms. She's a pretty good ol' gal!  :toast

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
 my wife always seems to say "oh ... another one?  really??"  then bats her purty green eyes and smiles.  yep, she be a good ol' gal, too.  :bl th up

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »
You won't be disappointed, Joe! :applaud  Also, if you take the trouble to polish the inside of the lock plate, the tops of the trigger levers, and the sear arm where it bears on the trigger levers, you will reduce the effort to pull the trigger and get a better let off with the set trigger.  Btw, a longer screw (odd size pitch & thread though) will also help as the factory version is too short.  OTOH, many just spend $$$ for the Davis Deer Slayer trigger, which is supposed to be a drop in fit for the GPR.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:55:23 AM by Maven »

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »
Good tips, Maven! Thanks!  :shake

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 05:24:55 PM »
You won't be disappointed, Joe! :applaud  Also, if you take the trouble to polish the inside of the lock plate, the tops of the trigger levers, and the sear arm where it bears on the trigger levers, you will reduce the effort to pull the trigger and get a better let off with the set trigger.  Btw, a longer screw (odd size pitch & thread though) will also help as the factory version is too short.  OTOH, many just spend $$$ for the Davis Deer Slayer trigger, which is supposed to be a drop in fit for the GPR.
Joe,... I completely agree with Maven, you won't be disappointed. :hairy
I know, because I've had 6 or 7 GPR's between 1969 and 1998.
Maven mentions the trigger-set screw bein' an "odd size pitch & thread though",.... yes,.. it's metric, and it's almost impossible to find one to replace it. I used to tear apart old CB's and 8-track tape-decks just for the screws to replace the ones in GPRs.

Last spring I couldn't take it any longer, watching Rob and a few other fellas talk about their new GPRs,.... so I ordered another one (just to have around).  :) :laffing

As for the short metric thread trigger-set screw on my newest GPR,.... these days it's almost impossible to even find old tape decks for their screws.
So I went to a hardware store and picked up a couple screws that had (IIRC) 8x32 threads,.... then I simply ran an 8x32 tap into the metric hole (no drillin' or nuthin') followed with one of the new screws (to find it's proper length for the approximate adjustment I wanted), then took it back out, cut it off, and ran it back in the hole with a bit of clear fingernail polish on the threads.
The fingernail polish keeps it in place after dryin',.... but lets you adjust the screw (if need be) after the triggers get smoothed up from shooting.  :hairy 
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »
Thanks for the tips you guys, I do appreciate it!  :shake

Several years back at where I work, I ordered in an assortment of gun screws, so I will try and match that trigger set screw with a longer one (if we have it). If not, I've got Rondo's plan to fall back on.

Now I'm guessing this holds true for not only the Flintlock GPR, but the Caplock as well?

Thanks again guys!  :shake :bl th up

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »

Several years back at where I work, I ordered in an assortment of gun screws, so I will try and match that trigger set screw with a longer one (if we have it). If not, I've got Rondo's plan to fall back on.

Now I'm guessing this holds true for not only the Flintlock GPR, but the Caplock as well?

All the GPRs that I've owned were caplocks,.... (never owned a GPR flinter,) but I'm sure the flint GPR has the same triggers.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 08:41:06 PM »

All the GPRs that I've owned were caplocks,.... (never owned a GPR flinter,) but I'm sure the flint GPR has the same triggers.  :bl th up

I'd almost think they'd have to. Well, I will find out when the caplock gets here. I can compare the trigger set up with my flintlock GPR.  :toast

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 06:22:18 AM »
to a fair degree, these are all "cookie cutter" guns with as many interchangeable parts as can be used.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 02:06:42 PM »
Finally got around to bringing the Lyman .54 GPR Kit home today. Probably won't start this project for awhile, but she's home - safe & sound!  :bl th up

Going to have to watch "Wild Times" with Sam Elliot, and his use of a Lyman .50 cap lock GPR in this made for TV (3 part mini series)... He really brought this rifle to life in that mini-series, and I expect sales were pretty darn good for Lyman once that show aired.  :toast

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 10:09:17 PM »
I need to go through my parts bag to look for a longer trigger screw for you.  I was given several many years ago when I had a GPR and have at least one if I can find it.  Remind me if I forget!

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025