Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

#10 Percussion Caps

<< < (3/3)

Winter Hawk:

--- Quote from: RobD on November 25, 2023, 05:55:56 AM --- Rather than use aluminum cans to form the cap shells I have some .005" copper sheet instead.  And rather than forming the cups with a hammer I'll be using a 1/4 ton press.

Also will experiment with punching out paper cap pistol caps to use as the ignition, as well as the compound slurry mix that comes with the kit.
--- End quote ---
I have the kit for no. 11 caps, I should break it out again.  I think you will find the hammer to be a lot faster than a press, please keep us informed on how well that works.  I only made one batch with mine, half didn't work.  My fault really, I probably didn't put enough of the chemicals in.  I then put it aside because of other projects and didn't get back to it.  :o  I see it lying in the closet and that's about as far as I get with playing with it.

~Kees~

P.s. - I'm still looking for a suitable box to ship the revolver in....

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: RobD on November 26, 2023, 05:59:33 AM ---Tubing can be placed around a larger cap to mitigate flashing another nipple as well as retaining that cap, if #11s are used in place of #10s - I don't wanna go that route.

OctoberCountry no longer even lists caps for sale.

I'll try my hand at making caps and hopefully they'll be viable and eliminate a dependency on an industry and product that's been stifled.

I'll also be making paper cartridges.  I just made a batch of nitrate paper using Spectracide and it works purty darn good.

--- End quote ---

I had forgotten about the little Percussion Cap Keeper... I have used them in the past... Shows how long it has been since I shot any of my revolvers... I see these "Percussion Cap Keeper" are available on E-Bay, but I bet sporting goods stores that handle firearms just may have some on hand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version