Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Slimming down wood

(1/4) > >>

mario:
I finally got my Early English Trade Gun from Sitting Fox ML and I want to slim the forestock down by maybe an 1/8" all around.

Should I use:

A hand plane? (I have various smaller ones)

A scraper?

A rasp? (I think that would take too much off, too quick and be harder to clean up afterwards)

Mario

jbullard1:
I use a double cut file and sandpaper

ridjrunr:
mario,I'm not real exp. hear or anything .but I just recently took ALOT of wood off of a cva kentucky kit to make it not look like a cva.I did the bulk of it with a 4-way rasp and then progressive grades of sandpaper on blocks of wood.Am very pleased even though it is not finished with the stain yet. The sculpting I feel went great.I took my time over a few weeks as it was my first.A little nector after each session didn't hurt either.I'm thinkn the best tool is patience.Yers is a might bit more spendier though so the more exp. guys I'm shure will give input.   ridjrunr

BEAVERMAN:
a# 50 nicholson rasp first, then progress down with the files and paper

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: "jbullard1" ---I use a double cut file and sandpaper
--- End quote ---

That's what I use as well.  I would avoid the hand plane as it would be to easy to gouge out a piece of wood you didn't intend to.  Just work slow and keep checking.  Before you know it you'll have that stock where you want it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version