Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Birds-eye maple

(1/2) > >>

pathfinder:
My go- to guy at Tiger Hunt doesn't have any right now,so does anyone know where I might be able to find a really good piece of Birds-eye? I'm building a Tennessee rifle with a 44" barrel.

Thanks

BEAVERMAN:
ever see an original made from birdseye?

pathfinder:
Beaverman,  no I haven't, but a Friend of mine,Mic, is building one from Persimmon. I'd never heard of that either but Mic said Ron Ehlert showed him an ad from the 17Th century describing the desertion of an indentured servant and a missing gun made of Persimmon.[if I recall the story correctly, I'll ask him this weekend] I've seen shot guns in Birds-eye, but not a rifle yet.

Gambia:
Birds eye maple was used on original percussion and flintlock sxs shotguns I have restored several original sxs with birds eye maple stocks, most were by the Manton brothers so we are at a period of 1790 -1830 .I would say that to stock with this type of wood would require very sharp tools but the finished job would be worth it.
Feltwad
               ---------------------
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

pathfinder:
I agree Feltwad, SHARP tools are a MUST! The few I've done really got my honing skills up to snuff. Nothing like working on knots all the time. Tennessee guns really shine in this wood.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version