Craftsmanship > Traditional Archery and Accoutrements

Build a Unistrut Endless String Jig

<< < (2/3) > >>

Fletcher:
Ya got me beat by a bit.  I made my first string and soon after jig in 1963.  As part of my BSA Archery Merit badge.
I have been making arrows and strings ever since.  Bows for 25 years.

I do take my string making stuff to many events and trade shows.  It needs to be light and flexible.
Never know what the space or conditions are gong to be.

It is true that twisted strings have some inherent stretch - but once that has been done and the string height is set
I don't have much trouble beyond that.

I have never heard of hmpe - what is that?

OBTW - I add a couple wraps around the loop arm to add 4 strands to the 6 that are in the loop of a 12 strand string.
I do this because the guy who taught me in 1963 did it that way !

RobD:

--- Quote from: "Fletcher" ---...
...!
--- End quote ---

as stated in my first post - HMPE (High Modulous PolyEthylene - Fast Flight, Dynaflight, 450, etc.) ... iit's either that or polyester (Dacron).  but honestly, unless the stick bow in question is an old one (perhaps from the 80's back) hmpe is the better bowstring fiber for lots of functional reasons.  at the very least, all commercial stick bows built in this century are "Fast Flight approved", meaning that you can use any hmpe bowstring.

Riley/MN:

--- Quote from: "rfd" ---
...!
--- End quote ---

as stated in my first post - HMPE (High Modulous PolyEthylene - Fast Flight, Dynaflight, 450, etc.) ... iit's either that or polyester (Dacron).  but honestly, unless the stick bow in question is an old one (perhaps from the 80's back) hmpe is the better bowstring fiber for lots of functional reasons.  at the very least, all commercial stick bows built in this century are "Fast Flight approved", meaning that you can use any hmpe bowstring.
--- End quote ---

Then there is that other fiber - HEMP, I hear it has other uses as well....

Spotted Bull:

--- Quote from: "Riley/MN" ---
--- Quote from: "rfd" ---
...!
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Then there is that other fiber - HEMP, I hear it has other uses as well....
--- End quote ---

Sure plays heck on your accuracy though...

RobD:
hemp makes *great* primitive bowstrings - for sure.  

a superb source for traditional bowstring reference, from primitve to modern, is The Bowyers Bible Volume 2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version