Craftsmanship > Traditional Archery and Accoutrements

I NEED a new bow!

(1/3) > >>

Winter Hawk:
I started shooting in the back yard again a while ago.  After 50 shots my right (pulling arm) shoulder started making ticking sounds which I ignored.  After another 20 shots it was getting painful.  Since then it takes fewer and fewer shots before I start hurting at which point I stop.  I'm thinking of getting another bow of around 40 lb. as that is the lowest Ohio will allow for deer and seeing if that will do me any better than the 50 lb. draw I use now.  I'm thinking of getting one from Miller's Longbows in Divide, Montana (they aren't on the Web, so don't bother looking).  His prices aren't bad.  Does anyone have any experience with these bows?  They are selfbows of hickory with rawhide backing; I'm attracted to his Modoc style.

Thanks,
~Kees~

rollingb:
I've bought 4 bows from Steve Donker (in Cheyenne, WY) over the last 3 or 4 years. Steve doesn't have a website either, but his business is called The Twisted Limb and he can be found on Facebook.
If you're interested, I can get some contact info for you,.... my wife has hid his phone number for the time being (I guess she thinks I've bought enough bows for awhile LOL).  :bl th up 

Ohio Joe:
Some of Steve Donker's bows - click on link below... The man can read the wood he works with... :bl th up

https://scontent.foma1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/109387451_3706788592670293_4237559730701240988_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=rWsDW87oO_AAX-vq9Em&_nc_oc=AQm2oDvQ7pTES8sreidheohYhIGvmPF78yR4KamzvKuZC96_UOUC2NXlo2jy8s0QfLI&_nc_ht=scontent.foma1-1.fna&oh=0daa55f5eedbf22bf77fb01032d135f9&oe=609C3AC6

RobD:
David Miller's longbows are Excellent, I had one years ago and it was worth the wait.

I recently got a mild r/d 3pc T/D longbow, "Black Hunter", from Mandarin Duck in china, 60" and 45@28.  It sports bamboo cores under black glass, and a dark gray and black laminated riser.  The bow was $150 and shipping was $20, arrived in states in two weeks. 

I started archery in '53, my dad made lemonwood longbows, POC arrows, bowstrings of linen and a bit later on with that new fangled Browning B36 polyester string fiber.  Over the decades I've kept track of all the bows I've had, both for tournaments and hunting, and the current number is 122.  Yes, I'm a bow-a-holic of sorts.  I don't build bows, just arrows, strings, quivers, etc.

Back to the china bow ... I can not say enuf good things about it.  Many decades ago I realized the value of bamboo cores, and that was a prime reason for taking a chance on this bow's purchase.  Super smooth, no stacking out to 30" (though my draw length has dropped over the decades to a current 28").  It spits out big fletched woodies in the 500 to 570 grain range with speed, authority, and most of all, Stability.  I like it so much, I've ordered another. 

And to boot, I have a TimberHawk T/D longbow on order that will arrive in July, maybe. Do I need to sign up for bow-a-holics anonymous? :)

KDubs:
Rob,
 We probably need to hold an intervention
Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version