Craftsmanship > Accoutrements

Got rawhide?

(1/4) > >>

The Miner '49er:
Would anyone know a source for a small piece, maybe 10"x10" and 1/8 to 3/16 thick of rawhide? I'd like to try my hand at wetting the hide, forming it, and letting it dry to fashion a petunk. All my online research, Tandy, etc., offers larger pieces at about $30. And completed petunks are about double that. Much too $$$ for a wild hair project. AFAIK tanned leather won't form and harden near as well as rawhide.

rollingb:

What's a "petunk"?  :)

The Miner '49er:
I figured that would be the #1 reply!   :)  I never heard of or saw one until I went to the Grassy Run, mini rondy, in Goshen, OH a few weeks ago. A petunk is a hard leather bottle shaped container with a wooden stopper. It's used to carry and dispense balls. My idea is to first buy a pocket flask of my fav whisky, enjoy that, and then use the bottle to form the wet rawhide around it in a clamshell. After drying and removing the glass, it would just be some punching, stitching, and then strap and stopper making. Voila, petunk, slam dunk! (sorry, I couldn't help myself).

rollingb:
I guess I've made dozens of "petunks" over the years and didn't even know it.  :bl th up  :laffing

I use wet rawhide to form a pouch and fill it with sand until it dries, then I dump the sand out and carve a plug to use as a "stopper".
I've got these made up to hold round balls, as well as shot.  :)

I've never bought a small piece of rawhide so I can't help you regarding that, as I buy whole hides.
Rawhide is VERY useful for many many things.  :bl th up  :bl th up

Nessmuk:
I'd try a local arts and crafts store, i.e Michael's or Hobby Lobby. They often have small pieces of leather for projects.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version