Craftsmanship > Accoutrements

wooden powder measures

(1/3) > >>

Doug Miller:
Hello all,
          Hope everyone is having a safe and relaxing 4th.
         Was wondering if anyone has heard of a wooden powder measure? Any pictures or documentation? I'm familiar with and have made several cane measures and of course antler ones. It just seems odd that you never hear or see one made of hard wood. I haven't anyway. Any info or pics would be greatly appreciated.

mike rumping:
might be the wood might swell?

Ohio Joe:
I've made a few wooden powder measurers.  I put a brass liner in them and they work very well.  I don't know if there is any documentation on them, but it wouldn't surprise me if some old timers may have whittled a few out.

I'll post a picture here soon of a few I've made if I can find them?

oomcurt:
Just my two cents...

Fwiw, I have made a bunch of wooden ones. Some I kept, others I gave as gifts. Never had any swell, but then I live in a dry state, humidity wise. Made 'em out of maple. Now, the way I do it is to use a standard adjustabe powder measure, find a drill bit that just fits the inside diameter of it and measure the depth. A drill press is almost a necessity for accuracy. Sure, you have to play around a bit, but once you get the hang of it, it is fairly simple. The outside you can make almost any shape you desire. Are they historically accurate? I have no idea...but it works for me. Re using brass...I doubt if any of the old trappers in the Rocky Mtn's. used brass...where would they get it from...and if the did get some..if they lost it...either antler or wood is my guess.

Trois Castors:

--- Quote from: "oomcurt" --- I live in a dry state, humidity wise. Made 'em out of maple.
--- End quote ---
6 Beavers has made a few out of cherry,I think.
I find our province humid.....

Regards,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version