Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Easy on the tummy.  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
Easy on the tummy.
« on: February 25, 2010, 11:38:57 PM »
I wasn't feeling all that good today so for supper I decided to do something that my ma used to.  I hard boiled four eggs.  While they were cooking, I made two cups of medium white sauce with real butter.  I crushed a packet (1/4#) of soda crackers and mixed in two tbsp of butter, then used the mix to line an 8x8 cake pan.   After peeling and chopping the eggs fine, I folded 'em into the white sauce and poured the mess into the cracker lined cake pan.  A few minutes under the broiler brought  things up to serving temp and lightly browned the eggs.   I like this with good ol' canned creamed corn and a big glass of milk.   I have no idea if this concoction has a name, mom always called it "Creamed Eggs".  Anyway it is very easy on my stomach, cheap, and filling.  The missus and I ate 3/4's of it.  I'll warm up the rest for my midnight snack.  I'm diabetic and have a midnight snack when I take my last dose of insulin for the night.  I try to hit 20 grams of carbohydrate.  This ought to do it right about on the money.  

When I was a kid, even living in Ballard, Dad always liked to have a few chickens.  So we always had a surfeit of eggs.  Mom knew at least 637 ways of fixin' 'em cause we were always up to our armpits in the dang things.  If nothing else, she'd scramble 'em and mix 'em into the dog's food.  She just couldn't stand to throw food away.

Did you know you can make egg salad for sandwiches in just a few minutes?   Scramble eggs in a large skillet, then spread 'em on a cookie sheet or pizza pan to cool, takes  just a few minutes.  Then mix in Miracle Whip, diced onion, a bit  of yellow mustard and a little bit of cider vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.  I like to reconstitute dried onion in water while the eggs scramble.  A teaspoonful  of dry onion in an ounce or two of water. Drain the onions in a tea strainer after five minutes and add to your egg mixture.  

When I was in school a couple of egg salad sandwiches made this way for lunch could clear an entire floor by about the end of fourth period.  

(Bunch'a pansies.)

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 05:57:12 AM »
Three Hawks,
         Friend, I was right there with you till you got to the
 "Miracle Whip" part :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 07:49:12 AM »
This all sounds good to me. I like my farm fresh eggs. :) If ya get them from the store ya got to put the hot sauce onum.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Trois Castors

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 08:45:25 AM »
For some reason hardboiled fresh eggs are a lot harder
to peel than the older store bought eggs. :?
Jed"3Beavers"
Ontario Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]
TMA#272 till 09/01/16
Friends of the Voyageur
Saugeen Paddlers

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:48:28 AM »
Quote from: "Trois Castors"
For some reason hardboiled fresh eggs are a lot harder

It doesn't matter whether the eggs are "home made" or store bought, "organic" "inorganic"  "Free range" or any other kind of chicken or duck egg,  they peel much easier after they're about three weeks old.

When I was a kid, my gramma kept a raft of chickens and gathered eggs every day.  All she'd do was wipe 'em clean with a rag wet with bleach solution, then dip 'em in an enameled bucket of sodium silicate solution (Water glass) with an old tablespoon, then they went onto an old cookie sheet to dry.  Eggs treated this way stay fresh for up to nine months, as bacteria and mold are excluded and water can't evaporate.   Usually she used 'em up long before the nine months were up.  She stored eggs in the flour bin under the counter in the kitchen.  If you try this, poke a hole in the big end with a darning needle before boiling 'em to vent steam.  The shells will not be porous and can explode.  It is "interesting" to say the least.

Gramma did her eggs that way to save room in her refrigerator.  She had one with the condenser on top, and it was tiny inside.  She loved that thing, because it worked a whole lot better than the old ice box on the back porch before they had electricity.  

I remember going to Gramma and Grampa's house before they had electricity.  Power outages do not scare me like they do some folks.  I loved sitting in the kitchen at night listening to the radio that ran on batteries charged by the little windmill alongside the house.  Light was from kerosene lamps and the big Aladdin mantle lamp on the kitchen table so Grampa could read the big Norwegian Family Bible.  I'd sit on his lap and he'd point to the words so I could follow along as he read 'em aloud in Norwegian.  Good times.  

If you don't like Miracle Whip, use mayonnaise.  You'll need a bit more vinegar, pickle juice, or lemon juice, to add a bit of tanginess, mayo is pretty flat tasting.  I like my egg salad tangy, it should bite the side of the tongue just a bit.  

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 08:26:41 AM »
Quote from: "Trois Castors"
For some reason hard boiled fresh eggs are a lot harder
I have to agree about older eggs peeling easier than fresh.Eggs
bought in the major stores are reasonably fresh.No more than
10days +  or -.Hold in frig for another week and they peel  much
easier.I also only by jumbo eggs.
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:44:02 AM »
If you put a T- spoon of salt in the water any egg will peal very nicely.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »
Reading the post you guy's made about eggs brought back a bunch of memories for me.
Whenever I was younger I used to spend a lot of time with my grandparents so that I could help out in the garden because they grew a large one every year and my grandpa couldn't do it by himself.
Well, anyway they had a few chickens and we always had eggs to eat at just about every meal that my grandma fixed. Nowdays, I still like eggs but I am picky as to when I eat them.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:07:17 PM »
Three Hawks , your post sounds like a page from my past , except Grandpa spoke canadian French.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013