Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: .32 crockett issue/problem  (Read 1413 times)

Offline dbo1966

• TMA Forum Member
.32 crockett issue/problem
« on: August 10, 2009, 02:19:01 AM »
Hi all, Just bought a crockett saturday and I've got a small problem.  The hammer is not lined up exactly with the nipple and the cap wont pop. It actually just catches the very edge of the cap but not enough for ignition.  I've registered the warrenty but would like to fix it myself.  Has anyone else had this problem?

bo
Powder, Patch, Ball, Prime, Cock, Set Trigger, Aim, Press Trigger, FlashBoom, Smile.

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
hammer
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 08:12:10 AM »
Had this problem with a zouave and I took the hammer off and laid it on a vise (jaws spread) and tapped it with a light ball pein hammer until it lined up with cap.  I don't think the hammer will break as it has to be of a temper that it can take the stress of it's job. But then again I have a calibrated elbow, been a mechanic since 1967.  Go light and slow, keep checking fit as you bend,good luck!
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline nobber

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member, #250, expiration date; 1/22/2028
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
just about every crockett I have ever seen including both of mine had this same problem. I heated mine up and bent it with a pair of vise grips with leather in the jaws the protect the metal. It only has tomove like an eighth of an inch to line up just go slow and don't get heavy handed or in a hurry. I bought a spare lock for my guns also and same thing so I have had to do this three times and a couple times for other people.

Eric Davis
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
DU Life Member
NWTF Sponsor Member
Pheasants Forever Sponsor Member
NMLRA National Range Officer and Instructor
Vice President/BoD Pokagon Longrifles
BoD/ The Traditonal Muzzleloading Association #250

Offline dbo1966

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »
I got r fixed...I cut the end off a small brass punch at just a slight angle and wedged it in hammer.  This created a flat surface for the hammer to strike the nipple.  Works like a charm.

bo
Powder, Patch, Ball, Prime, Cock, Set Trigger, Aim, Press Trigger, FlashBoom, Smile.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 03:36:32 PM »
Quote from: "dbo1966"
I got r fixed...I cut the end off a small brass punch at just a slight angle and wedged it in hammer.  This created a flat surface for the hammer to strike the nipple.  Works like a charm.

bo

If you ended up with a flat hammer nose, you are likely in for an unpleasant surprise.  The cupped hammer nose is shaped like that to help avoid caps or bits of cap flying around,  retaining them in the hammer nose or directing them downward.  Wait till you, or the guy next to you gets a hot cap or piece of percussion cap in his face.  

That is bought experience.

Bending a hammer to line it up is as old as percussion rifles.  I clamp the hammer in a padded vise then bend the hammer nose the desired directon and amount with a  close fitting piece of pipe used as a wrench.  I've never had one break or even crack.  

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 03:26:58 PM »
What Three-Hawks said. I did the exact same thing on my TC New Englander 12ga. Worked perfect!
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 06:11:17 PM »
8)  "Doc"
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Quote from: "nobber"
just about every crockett I have ever seen including both of mine had this same problem. I heated mine up and bent it with a pair of vise grips with leather in the jaws the protect the metal. It only has tomove like an eighth of an inch to line up just go slow and don't get heavy handed or in a hurry. I bought a spare lock for my guns also and same thing so I have had to do this three times and a couple times for other people.

Eric Davis

Had to do the same thing to my 54 cal lyman GP kit. hammer would fall over nipple but putta cap on it and you could see the off center. Heated it cherry and turned it with pliers.
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 10:18:21 AM »
I have one too - as above - heat and bend, don't leave a flat surface exposed, it will spray blown caps.

Let us know when you find the next problem - cleaning the little devil.  I have to hold the gun in a wiase with wood plates between the jaws and a leather padd.  I also use a long solid 1/4" brass rod with a .32 jag I had to 'tune' on belt sander to get it to run a patch without sticking.  Works OK with all that done, but first time I tried free hand I got the patch and rod REALLY STUCK!

Other than that it shoots great and is a lot of fun.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders