Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 54 cal mountain rifle  (Read 1255 times)

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
54 cal mountain rifle
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
I am the proud new owner of a very well cared for CVA mountain rifle in 54 cal.

The gentleman I got it from was not it's original owner.  He used it to hunt elk and had a set of modern fiber optic sights on it which I quickly replaced with more traditional sights.
All the furniture is steel,  The barrel has no serial number or markings other than 54 stamped on the lock side.  I have no idea if this is the original barrel.   If it is, someone did a good job of removing the roll markings.  If the rifle was a kit, it is very well put together.  I don't care for the looks of the trigger guard and I believe it is the original that has been modified.

If anyone has an original steel mountain rifle trigger guard they are not using, I sure would like to buy it.  

Also, the same gentleman has two more mountain rifles  (45 and  50 cal) if anyone here is interested.
Steve Sells

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: 54 cal mountain rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »
If you don't have any luck finding a CVA triggerguard for your Mountain Rifle,.... Track of the Wolf offers the "Vincent" triggerguard in either brass, or steel, and it's VERY simular in profile to the "finger spur" CVA triggerguard.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categorie ... G-VINC-2-I

Good luck in your search.  :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »
I've seen a few mt. rifle guards on e-bay, but TOW would be the best bet..  Those're great gun's have had one since 1978.  Still knocks down targets & critter's.  .....Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »
Well rip my britches,  I just found out that this rifle is a Deer Creek Northwest Rifle.
It is the same parts as a CVA mountain rifle with a different trigger guard and a barrel made in USA on Douglas tooling!

I may just be stupid lucky!

http://mikeswillowlake.com/deer_creek_rifle.htm
Steve Sells

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
Quote from: "prairie dog"
Well rip my britches,  I just found out that this rifle is a Deer Creek Northwest Rifle.
It is the same parts as a CVA mountain rifle with a different trigger guard and a barrel made in USA on Douglas tooling!

I may just be stupid lucky!

http://mikeswillowlake.com/deer_creek_rifle.htm
Lucky indeed!  :rt th
I'd heard that Deer Creek had bought all of CVA's old Mt. Rifle parts, but I didn't know they had changed the triggerguards.

I have an old CVA .50 Mountain Rifle around here somewhere,... but it's a flinter and has a triggerguard that more closely resembles a "late Hawken" guard (it doesn't have the Vincent-style "finger spurs" like most CVA Mt. Rifles did), and I'm sure it came from CVA that way.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RiverCat

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »
Quote from: "prairie dog"

Another difference between your rifle and an original CVA .54cal Mountain Rifle is the patchbox in the stock. CVA Mountain Rifles were available in four calibers, .45, .50, .54, and.58cal.  The .54 and .58cals were called "Big Bore Mountain Rifles and were different from the .45 and .50`s in that they did not have a patchbox.

You`ve got a nice rifle there :rt th.   I`ve got an original Mountain Rifle in .50cal and would like to have one in .54 or.58 myself.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
Different lock plate than CVA used as well - All my CVA Mtn Rifles have a lock plate that comes to a point in the rear. Most of them also show signs of cracking to the rear of that point - your rounded point might make a better choice...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!