Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 28ga or 20ga  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Jerry Sine

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 754
28ga or 20ga
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:39:04 PM »
I have a 54 cal Leman rifle . I am thinking about converting the rifle to a smooth bore rifle.  The  rifle has a green mountain barrel 36" length 1" across the flat. Would it be possible to ream out to 20 ga. or will I have to go with 28ga. And last who would be a good contact to do the job.    Would appreciate any help.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: 28ga or 20ga
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:52:13 PM »
Jerry, I suspect your question is waaay over my head, but let me assure you there ain't no fleas on a .56 cal / 28ga.
I own an old "el-cheapo" T/C smoothie in .56 that shoots every bit as well as I can hold it, even better!
I have had this old beast for twenty or so years, and she gets better looking every year.

I most cases, I am not allowed to shoot her in smooth bore matches, it because she has a rear sight...that's what they say.
She does indeed have a rear sight, but she shoots a PRB like a house-on-fire, and that may be the real reason I'm not allowed to compete, but what would I know?

Ohio Joe instituted a rule, this year, in his "Smoothie Match" that allowed me to let her strut her stuff, and the old girl made me quite proud.

Insofar as shot is concerned, the best I remember the recommended load for the .56/28 is 7/8 oz shot over 65 or 70gr FFg...my regular load is 1 full oz. over 70gr FFg....
I have shot 1.25oz #6 shot over 75gr FFFg quite often, and as far as pattern goes, it depends greatly on the thickness of the OP wad....in my gun.

When using 70gr FFg, I break in half a 1/2" tall fiber Wad, when using FFFg I use the full Fiber Wad.

I always two (2) OS cards, no matter what load I'm shooting, and I NEVER Mix shot, although some do claim great results with a mixture 6's & 7's, even 7's and 8's, or even 6's and 8's for that matter, but my own experience with mixed shot has never been all that great.

I didn't answer your question, not even close, but I would suggest that if you ever get the chance to try-out a 28, or .56 cal smoothie, give it a try......you just might like what you see.

Someone with more knowledge on this subject than myself will come along shortly and give a more definitive answer...no matter the choice you make, good luck in your decision.

Uncle Russ...   
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Jerry Sine

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 07:36:50 AM »
Thanks Russ. I have  never owned or shot a 28 ga. I am sure they shoot well. I have this 54cal Leman that shoots quite well I have had no luck in  trying to sell. I just can't see well enough to shoot open sights. So my plan is to make a good squirrel gun I had some concerns about the 28ga for squirrels. What is your though as far as squirrel hunting with 28.           Thanks Again

Online dmarsh

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
Jerry, I would suspect that you can get a 20 gauge out of that but you need to let the expert decide.  It depends on the depths the dovetails are cut for the sights and lugs.  I send mine to Bobby Hoyt and tell him to bore it out as big as he can safely do.  I have had about 6 done and happy with everyone.  Two smoothies and the rest rifled.  Give him a call (717) 642-6696.  Good luck. 8)

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Jerry Sine

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »
Thanks  Dave,  I  sure would like a 20ga. I think it would make a better squirrel  gun versus a 28 ga. As I said I never owned a 28 or fired one. I believe a 20 would be a better choice.           Thanks Again

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »
20ga is no problem in a 1" octagon barrel. Green Mountain used to sell a 1" 20ga drop in barrel for TC guns.
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline Jerry Sine

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
Great that sounds good!

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
Are you still interested in selling the rifle?  A friend of mine is a lefty and might be in the market,  but I am not sure.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe