Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: .32 Crockett  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Swamppanther

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Active Member
  • TMA Member: TMA #801
.32 Crockett
« on: December 08, 2017, 11:12:31 AM »
I cleaned my rifle the other day using ramrod as pump with jag/patch and warm soapy water. Good rinse and the dry. now sitting (barrel only) in
corner with barrel 'bout 1/2 full WD40(Dutch Schoultz ). I use a solid brass ramrod with the .32 cal. jag attached for cleaning/loading.
I also use the supplied with gun aluminum rod. When I push all the way down the barrel for cleaning I note there
is about and inch or so from where the rod stops and the nipple/cleanout screw point. Rod is long enough to go further.
I tried a fouling scraper it only goes so far also. Am I doing something wrong? Does it narrow down in the
breech area?
USMC Life - Siemper Fi
NRA Life

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
Re: .32 Crockett
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 03:57:32 PM »
Not sure but does the Crockett have that funky breech that narrows down to a smaller powder charge area? there is a name for that kind of breech but the name currently eludes me.
K

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Re: .32 Crockett
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 07:32:39 PM »
There is a clean out screw on the left side of the breech, you must remove to assist in getting your barrel clean. Anti sieze the threads when you reinstall it. Use a .17 cal cleaning rod and jag to get into the fire chamber. Be careful you don't get it stuck in there doing this. These Crocketts are a bit of a pain because they do not have a hooked breech to remove the barrel and the very narrow patent breech making clean up fussy. These cons are overshadowed by the little rifles performance and easy carry. Plug a cheap can of soda at thirty yards to get an idea of their punch! And last, I say they are like holding a ballerina compared to a burly 54 cal fullstock which I won't make an analogy of a woman for.............. :hairy
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19