Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: These contests?? And shoots??  (Read 1018 times)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 06:22:05 PM »
Send me a PM whenever ya want!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 07:08:04 PM »
First of all - you're invited to come on by the James River Black Powder Club anytime to shoot. May be a bit of a drive . . . but we're friendly enough to make it worth while!

But in answer to your questions . . . essentially 'shoots' come in three types; Scribes, Novelty and Woods/Trail walks

Scribes - shot on a range from a firing line, may or may not have loading benches. Shooting at paper targets which are turned in and scored by a judge or scribe. This is a common type of shooting done by clubs at their local range. Load at the loading bench, step to firing line, cap or prime, aim in and shoot. Then back to loading bench. Shooting is done in timed relays - normally 20 or 30 minutes, after which the range is called cold so that shooters can post and retrieve targets. Once all shooters are back safely behind the firing line, the Range Officer will call the range hot and set timer for another relay.

Novelty - similar to Scribes except the targets are gongs or can or golf balls or etc., but shooting is done on a range setting.

Woodswalk - targets are usually of a novelty variety, but the shoot takes place along a prescribed path with various target stations assigned along the way. The main difference with a woodswalk is that you need to take everything along with you that you might need.

At our monthly shoots - which are usually scribes - we shoot at 25 yd, 50 yd and 100 yd targets. Normally it works out to be 7-8 shots at 25 yds, 10-11 shots at 50 yds and 10 shots at 100 yds.

We do woodswalks at three special events we host and a normal woodswalk is 8 stations, 2 targets per station - 2 points if hit on first shot, 1 point on second shot, no third shot. To keep things moving, two dead hammer falls counts as a miss.

Now the term 'aggregate' has been used - that normally comes into play in competition shooting where a couple of targets are combined together for a specific score. For example at the VA state championship we host, there is a 'primitive aggregate' which is a 3-shot squirrel target at 25 yds, 5-shot ground hog target at 50 yds and 5 shot bear target at 100 yds. All three targets are the aggregate.

Most paper targets have 10 points as the high value area with 'bullseye' marked as X - - the number of times the actual bullseye is hit is usually used as the tie breaker for equal scores.

Hope that answers most of your questions. If not, wrap 'em up again and let fly for another volley.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »
I would agree that  the friends I and my wife have made in this sport , are all life long friend .
 When the chips are down or  they think your having an issue , out of the blue comes a call  or someone at the door  just to check up  and bring a smile to  an other wise  gloomy situation .
 Case in point . We just had our BP clubs Christmas party the other night . I had 35 people in my home . Some of the folks came from 150 miles away  just for the night .
 Well at  1 am , most  us still up  were chatting and   one of the folks phones rang .
 Never a good thing at that time of night  and this was no different .
A 200 mile drive was needed  ASAP but  no one asleep or up was safe to drive ..
  The phone list of  folks who shoot with us  was pulled . Closest person picked  and the call was made .
 A sleepy voice on the other end said hello ???  ,,,, yep im on my way , be there in 15 minutes and they were ..
 I also  have never seen a group of people more willing to  help someone new  out .  I personally have seen people  offer to let a new person who seems interested   barrow  very expensive  guns .
 It usually starts with .  You want to  try   this ? Well so happens I have a spare gun .  Bag and horn . I cant take you out but ??? Ha Pete!!! you take this person out to the range ??  Ok so  here is the gun and bag . Pete will show you how to use them . .
 Enough said  really , there just is  for the most part ,no better honest people  that can be found

As to the shoots . They can be  competitions but  most as beaver man stated , don’t care when it comes to prizes and such ..
 In fact  you more likely to have  all kinds of yelling an  kidding going on . Right along with a slap on the back .
 If  someone is the type that likes quite while they shoot . Well   probably better not to go to some of the shoots because your likely to  see folks yelling and kidding each other   from one end of a trail to the other . Also know that  ram rods ,,, well they work for other things  as well as for what they were intended to do . Coughing . Yep .
 Grass and dirt tossed in your ear  just about the time  your about to squeeze off , yep .
 Cow patties  coming out of no where , yep .
 that’s just from other shooter . I have yet to mention anything about those who set up the course .  They to  like to get into it  and its not uncommon to here : WHO THE HE77 SET THIS COURSE UP !! ,  that branch is in my way , the things right in the sun . how in the heck are you supposed to hit that thing ,
   We are shooting what ?? From where ????
 Its all in good fun and should be taken that way .
 Now this isn’t to say there isn’t times things get serious . Long gong  events start out  all in fun . But when it gets down to 200 + yards off hand and there is only 5 or 6 guns left  things get serious in a hurry  and it quite when your up on the line .
 However that doesn’t mean that after you shoot  someone’s not going to call you a Dic& head  for hitting the target LOL . While the  prize may be anywhere from 50-100 buck for 1st place , 99% of the time  those who win just donate the money back to the club for  give us all such a fine weekend or day .

As to  your first experiences  .
 Its hard to explain, but to be honest , I doubt there is a person here who  doesn’t know exactly what your talking about .
 I think  it stems though from the very thing folks here have said .
 There is  for lack of a better word , a kinship, a kind of tie , that  we all feel .  Its  a kind of commonality that runs  very deep  and is common .
 While it sometimes  also is seen in other shooting disciplines., I myself have never seen it  as deep or wide spread as in traditional muzzleloading  where its pretty much the norm .
 Its hard to exsplain , but I think your beginning to see it and  feel it .
 What your experiencing now  with the addiction , well   I hate to tell you , its about to get much worse . At least if the shoots in George are anything like the ones back here .

Now  if someone back here called me and ask me to a shoot , then  when I said I couldn’t come , stated that  they would come and get my rifle  or basicly a ; OK well if you cant come , can your rifle .
 that’s a  traditional muzzleloading way of saying . ; ohm come on, come out and play .

Here I get  phone call and someone on the other end  says HA Two Feathers , you comin to our shoot .???
 If I waffle and say ohm I don’t know ,  I got a lot around here to do .
 I usually get a reply of . that’s ok , you cant shoot anyway  .
 Then its on  boy .. Sometimes I go and they are right . Thus I get the see , I told you  so .
 But sometimes im on my game and  thus I get ,,, MAN!!! You su$%  were not going to invite you again . Followed by , ha stop by my camp later  and have a cup .

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Quote from: "IronDawg"
That reminds me beav. I think you and me are needing to do some trading. I'm gettin really tired of reaching and grabbing that leather thong and pulling out my capper when I needed my pan primer or vice versa. Shootin multiple rifles out of one single possibles bag is getting old.

:lol:  :lol:
 oh ya , your feeling it . that hook is just going deeper and deeper . ;)

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 08:45:57 PM »
aw man... my wifes gonna kill me :shock: ... unless...... ;)  I think it's time I raised her hunting challenges
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline Chairslayer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Member # 239
  • TMA Member: Membership expires 3/27/ 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »
Quote from: "IronDawg"
That reminds me beav. I think you and me are needing to do some trading. I'm gettin really tired of reaching and grabbing that leather thong and pulling out my capper when I needed my pan primer or vice versa. Shootin multiple rifles out of one single possibles bag is getting old.

(In my best Jerry Reed imitation)  SON!  If you don't have a different bag and horn and all the rest of the possibles for each gun, you're falling behind! You definitely need to get busy makin, or tradin or buyin................ :lol:
Dan Egener
TMA #239 Expires 3-14-2017
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.