Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: To Lube or Not To Lube...  (Read 899 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: To Lube or Not To Lube...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »
Quote from: "Cannonball"
Quote from: "No Rod"
Quote from: "rollingb"
Cutting patches "at the muzzle" is perfectly safe, when using the proper technique.
Just place the upright rifle between your knees,.... "start the ball" on the tail of your ticking strip,... hold the strip up with your left hand,... and cut the strip at the muzzle while holding the knife in your right hand, and cutting AWAY FROM YOU across the muzzle.
That is how I've done it (as a RIGHT HANDED SHOOTER), since 1967, and I've NEVER cut myself in all those years of shooting muzzleloaders.

Well maybe for you... the first time I tried it i stabbed myself! lol  :rt th  :laffing
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
Quick reply,

Any greasy lube will foul more than spit patch. A spit patch "cleans on the way down,IF done soon enough after shooting. Dont buy into the "season the bore" sales gimick.

Use greasy lubes when hunting,Water base will freeze to the barrel. Also will dry out in a short time.

Cut at the muzzle gaurantee's that the ball is centered. If you cut yourself,learn to use a knife!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Cannonball

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:36 PM »
Pathfinder you're not the first to tell me to learn how to use a knife lol.

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 12:21:25 AM »
Well don't know what to say here.  My patch knife has a rounded tip end so I can't stab myself.  The cutting edge is razor sharp so I guess I could slice myself if I didn't pay attention.  I haven't done that in the last forty-some-odd years of shooting but there's always a first time.  That razor sharp edge lets me cut a perfectly centered patch every time so I'll take the chance.  I'll bow out here.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »
don't get me wrong, I did figure it out. you know me Path, not the sharpest tool in the shed but my knives are. lol

I just ended up finding my rifle likes pre lubed patches. I would have been very happy if I could have gotten it to shoot with spit patches. I think I may revisit this in the spring.
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80