Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Those who have and those who will !  (Read 719 times)

Offline cowboys1062

• TMA Forum Member
Those who have and those who will !
« on: May 07, 2015, 02:13:11 AM »
I currently have not Dry Balled any of my muzzleloaders yet but know it's just a matter of time before I do. I have a cork screw ball puller that I can place on the end of my range rod to pull the ball out of the barrel when this happens. I have read where others use CO2 Dischargers to shoot the ball out down range. I was just wondering if I could pull the nipple and sprinkle enough blackpowder in the nipple hole and place the nipple back on and shoot the ball out that way? Could you place enough of a charge through the nipple hole to do this? I am just curious to know if it could be done that way. I'm not a member of the Dry Ball Club yet, but my days are numbered and before you know it I will be its newest member! Can anyone share their experiences and insight on the subject ? Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Those who have and those who will !
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 06:17:56 AM »
I have done it both ways when I shot cappers. And even with a flintlock I "got the oportunity" and worked enough powder through my touch hole to bounce the ball down range. But am happy to say its been awhile.
Your terminology leads me to ask that you make shure you have a ball puller. A cork screw hard wire is not a ball puller,thats for pulling lost patches or for holding a wad of tow for cleaning.
A ball puller should have a brass disc the size of your bore with a screw sticking out one side and an 8/32 or 10/24  male thread out the other( to screw into and attach to you ramrod).
Ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline cowboys1062

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:40:17 AM »
You are definately right about the description of the ball puller. I don't know what I was thinking about. I do indeed have a ball puller in my possibles bag that I take with me when I shoot. I will try to shoot the ball out first choice and use the ball puller second choice if and when I Dry Ball my muzzleloader. Thankyou for your reply and information. I thought that you could shoot the ball out by sprinkling blackpowder in the nipple hole but I wasn't sure do to the fact that it has not happened to me "yet". Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »
Been there; done that.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 02:17:10 PM »
Shoot it out, ball pullers and soft lead + tight patch = holy ball still stuck in barrel. Or use a co2 discharger.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 02:55:30 PM »
It happens to me when I am interrupted with questions while I am loading.  Talking to others during a match is a big disruption and distraction.  Some clubs just won't allow it.  Ours is more relaxed and I don't mind helping others.  I just have to learn not to let myself get distracted.  Usually, I can work some 4-f into the drum of a cap-lock or in through the vent on the flintlock and clear the load.

Be sure to check that everything clears the barrel before you re-load.  I saw an impressive demonstration of the fact that a CO2 dis-charger will not always blow all the powder charge clear.  The man giving the demonstration on shotgun loading at our fun day voo recently showed us just how it can happen.  He blew a load out with the CO-2.  We all saw it come out of the barrel, then he capped that barrel and fired it off.  There was enough powder left there to cause a loud discharge and lots of smoke out of that barrel.  It would have had a negative effect if that barrel had been re-loaded in that condition.  

Regardless of which method you use to clear a bad load, never assume the barrel is clear until you check it.
Steve Sells

Offline granpa

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:34:10 AM »
Quote from: "ridjrunr"
I have done it both ways when I shot cappers. And even with a flintlock I "got the oportunity" and worked enough powder through my touch hole to bounce the ball down range. But am happy to say its been awhile.
Your terminology leads me to ask that you make shure you have a ball puller. A cork screw hard wire is not a ball puller,thats for pulling lost patches or for holding a wad of tow for cleaning.
A ball puller should have a brass disc the size of your bore with a screw sticking out one side and an 8/32 or 10/24  male thread out the other( to screw into and attach to you ramrod).
Ridjrunr
As the club go to guy I have picked a lot of powder in behind dry balls in both flint and cappers  and would add that the best and easiest way to pull a dry ball is to make or have made a drill that matches the root diameter of your screw which is best if it is not tapered ( self tapper) the drill needs to be attatched to a nearly bore sized bit with the  threaded bit that fits your rod on the other end  get plenty of lubricant down the bore wind in the screw and the ball will come out pretty easy   .. Screwing a tapered screw into a ball without a hole in it just expands the ball tighter in the bore  and even with a hole it dont help a bit

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 11:38:26 AM »
You can remove the nipple and pour a little 4F into it.  That works pretty well.  Putting 4F in the nipple, I kind of doubt it.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline hawkthrower

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 732
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 10:14:23 AM »
Ah !

Wait till the pin holding your swabbing jag to the ram rod decides to let go at the bottom of the barrel! Dry ball with a patch is a cinch! brass jag, wet patch and the brass rod tip are a bit much to "shoot out" - though I've had to do it! The challenge is dry powder and wet patch! One time I had to build a drill to just fit the brass tip and catch a burr enough to pull it out. That one kinda ruined my day.........
It's not just a soft lead ball that can get stuck!
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »
As mentioned, it's tough to screw into a rb, then it will tend to expand.  One doesn't get much purchase into the ball.  This may pull out of the ball when trying to drag it up the bore, especially if the bore is fouled, hot and dry from shooting.  The saving grace is whatever lube is on the patch.  Also, the conditions mentioned can be neutralized by dribbling some water down the bore...makes it much easier for the prb to be pulled up.

Having said that, I prefer pulling the nipple and installing some BP in there (rollingb first gave me that advice years ago).  And you can use whatever granulation of BP you have, doesn't need to be priming grade.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821