Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Traditional Muzzleloaders - Cleaning  (Read 1331 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Traditional Muzzleloaders - Cleaning
« on: May 11, 2019, 10:29:00 AM »
Everyone has opinions and processes for maintaining and shooting traditional muzzleloaders with real black powder.  Here's my six decades worth take on the matter, what I do, and why ...

There is absolutely NO need to use anything more than plain tepid tap water to clean muzzleloaders.  Please read that again.  This is the way it was done for centuries before all the commercial "cleaning" concoctions were perpetrated on the uninformed 20th and 21st century wannabe trad muzzleloading public who use their guns for pleasure.  Back in the day, these guns meant life or death for their owners, not fun stuff.  They HAD to work well ALL the time.  Trust in their wisdom.

"But, Rob!  My muzzy's barrel is SO dirty that patches never come out clean, always dirty looking and I dunno why!". 

The question then becomes, "During the cleaning process, should cleaning patches eventually come out spanking clean and the same color as the patch material before it was put on a jag and sent down that long dark hole?".  Mmmmmmm, typically, no.  OK, then what constitutes "clean"?

"Clean" to me means that there is no significant black powder residue on the used patch, but the patch will probably have changed color so some degree, and remain at that color.  So, several more patches down and out the tube will also exhibit this changed color.  What color hue?  Typically a brownish color, if the patch material is a white or off-white cotton or linen.  Well then the barrel and chamber aren't "clean"!  Yes, it's all "clean".  What happens is that at the microscopic level the barrel steel has been infused with a very minute measure of powder residue.  This is akin to "seasoning" a cooking skillet.  A few dry patches and then an oily patch to preserve and the barrel IS clean. 

"BUT, Rob, my patches never come out even halfway clean, always dirty!".  The classic reason for this is the lack of do diligence after the last shot of the day is taken.  This is where a few water soaked patches down the barrel is good, but a "moose milk" soaked patch is better yet.  "Moose milk" means to me a 1:6 blend of water soluble oil (Ballistol, NAPA, etc) and plain tap water.  The reason for using moose milk is if you won't be fully cleaning the gun 'til yer back at the ranch for a proper cleaning, and the oil blend keeps metal from rusting.  Barrels that are this dirty will probably have rust and corrosion in the chamber area and will require chemicals and elbow grease to properly clean and restore the metal equilibrium.  Here's a tip - keep that sloppy wet moose milked patch and rod in the barrel during the journey home.   

To be fair, the above is for any trad muzzleloader with a flat faced breech plug.  Most offshore trad muzzleloaders will have patent breeches and will also require a patch draped bronze brush to get into that ante-chamber and clean it out.  Failure to address the patent breech for cleaning means trouble will follow sooner than later.

Add to the above the need to properly clean the lock, which at the very least needs to be spritzed with moose milk after the last shot of day, particularly if the real cleaning won't happen 'til yer back home where the lock can be removed and stuck in a pail of, yep, tepid tap water.  It should be scrubbed with a brush (stiff toothbrush is good), excess water shaken off, spritzed with light oil (Ballistol, WD40, etc), patted off, and all the bearing surfaces given a tiny drop of gun oil.

The above is an overview.  The entire process, in chronological order, with images, would take up a small booklet, but I think y'all get the idea.  Treat yer muzzy right and she'll do the same for you, year after year after decade.  Promise!

Here's a patent breech plug and barrel chamber that were never properly cleaned, nor was the plug's threads anti-seize greased.  Real rust and corrosion!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Soaked in PB-Blaster overnight, then scrubbed with a brass brush and Ballistol, the breech and chamber are back in action.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Traditional Muzzleloaders - Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 11:43:22 AM »
I agree, tap water is fine provided one does not have a water softner as that water contains salt. However, if you have an outside tap (which many of us do, and it's not connected to the softner - use that tap)...

However, if you're living in an apartment or some type of complex, and you need a key for the outside water (which only the maintenance man has) - I would recommend just the plain ol' cheap windshield washer fluid.

One must also remember that all "city" water is treated with chemicals as well. Country water like I grew up on; and Rob too I bet - perfect.  Heck even Creek water... Mother Nature still filters that water in many places where I live.

Good post Rob!   :hairy

:shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
  • Oft muß Mann "zum Teufel damit"
    • reenactor.Net
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #819. Membership expiration 11/24/2022
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 05:59:37 PM »
Everyone has opinions and processes for maintaining and shooting traditional muzzleloaders with real black powder.  Here's my six decades worth take on the matter, what I do, and why ...

There is absolutely NO need to use anything more than plain tepid tap water to clean muzzleloaders.  Please read that again.  This is the way it was done for centuries before all the commercial "cleaning" concoctions were perpetrated on the uninformed 20th and 21st century wannabe trad muzzleloading public who use their guns for pleasure.  Back in the day, these guns meant life or death for their owners, not fun stuff.  They HAD to work well ALL the time.  Trust in their wisdom.

"But, Rob!  My muzzy's barrel is SO dirty that patches never come out clean, always dirty looking and I dunno why!". 

The question then becomes, "During the cleaning process, should cleaning patches eventually come out spanking clean and the same color as the patch material before it was put on a jag and sent down that long dark hole?".  Mmmmmmm, typically, no.  OK, then what constitutes "clean"?

"Clean" to me means that there is no significant black powder residue on the used patch, but the patch will probably have changed color so some degree, and remain at that color.  So, several more patches down and out the tube will also exhibit this changed color.  What color hue?  Typically a brownish color, if the patch material is a white or off-white cotton or linen.  Well then the barrel and chamber aren't "clean"!  Yes, it's all "clean".  What happens is that at the microscopic level the barrel steel has been infused with a very minute measure of powder residue.  This is akin to "seasoning" a cooking skillet.  A few dry patches and then an oily patch to preserve and the barrel IS clean. 

"BUT, Rob, my patches never come out even halfway clean, always dirty!".  The classic reason for this is the lack of do diligence after the last shot of the day is taken.  This is where a few water soaked patches down the barrel is good, but a "moose milk" soaked patch is better yet.  "Moose milk" means to me a 1:6 blend of water soluble oil (Ballistol, NAPA, etc) and plain tap water.  The reason for using moose milk is if you won't be fully cleaning the gun 'til yer back at the ranch for a proper cleaning, and the oil blend keeps metal from rusting.  Barrels that are this dirty will probably have rust and corrosion in the chamber area and will require chemicals and elbow grease to properly clean and restore the metal equilibrium.  Here's a tip - keep that sloppy wet moose milked patch and rod in the barrel during the journey home.   

To be fair, the above is for any trad muzzleloader with a flat faced breech plug.  Most offshore trad muzzleloaders will have patent breeches and will also require a patch draped bronze brush to get into that ante-chamber and clean it out.  Failure to address the patent breech for cleaning means trouble will follow sooner than later.

Add to the above the need to properly clean the lock, which at the very least needs to be spritzed with moose milk after the last shot of day, particularly if the real cleaning won't happen 'til yer back home where the lock can be removed and stuck in a pail of, yep, tepid tap water.  It should be scrubbed with a brush (stiff toothbrush is good), excess water shaken off, spritzed with light oil (Ballistol, WD40, etc), patted off, and all the bearing surfaces given a tiny drop of gun oil.

The above is an overview.  The entire process, in chronological order, with images, would take up a small booklet, but I think y'all get the idea.  Treat yer muzzy right and she'll do the same for you, year after year after decade.  Promise!

Here's a patent breech plug and barrel chamber that were never properly cleaned, nor was the plug's threads anti-seize greased.  Real rust and corrosion!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Soaked in PB-Blaster overnight, then scrubbed with a brass brush and Ballistol, the breech and chamber are back in action.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Rob,
Sounds good to try different stuff. How about telling folks how to make moose milk?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Head Village Idiot at www.reenactor.Net and www.romanobritain.org

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 07:06:49 PM »
my moose milk formula is very complicated and costly, but here goes ....

6 parts by volume of dihydrogen-oxide (found just about everywhere and relatively cheap, or free ... ok, i'm being a smarta$$, it's just plain water :) )
1 part by volume of water soluble oil (Ballistol, NAPA SL SL2512, etc - but i highly recommend Ballistol as it's non-toxic and also good for the wood)

mix those two ingredients together and ya got ya some moose milk.

cvs pharmacies and other such stores sell little travel spray bottles.  get one and fill with moose milk to spray on patches, down barrels, over locks, etc.

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 07:14:57 PM »
my moose milk formula is very complicated and costly, but here goes ....

6 parts by volume of dihydrogen-oxide (found just about everywhere and relatively cheap, or free ... ok, i'm being a smarta$$, it's just plain water :) )
1 part by volume of water soluble oil (Ballistol, NAPA SL SL2512, etc - but i highly recommend Ballistol as it's non-toxic and also good for the wood)

mix those two ingredients together and ya got ya some moose milk.

cvs pharmacies and other such stores sell little travel spray bottles.  get one and fill with moose milk to spray on patches, down barrels, over locks, etc.
You do KNOW that you're going to make people all discombobulated by using the term "dihydrogen-oxide", right? :-p

Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 07:22:05 PM »
i'm sooo bad .....  :o  ::)  8)  :wave  :*:

tapatalk working ok for ya?

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 07:52:10 PM »
Seems to be. You're right, it is kinda ckunky. I'll play with some. Been reading. I have a spray can of ballistol. I have an article on how it came about, I think. If I can find out, I'll post.

Marsh Wise