Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Another question for all the gun builders

(1/2) > >>

jerry:
Has anyone ever seen an original flintlock stocked with birdseye maple? I'm asking not only the builders but anyone that might have information about this.. :?  

BEAVERMAN:
Jerry, ive asked the same question to a couple well known local builders, they said they knew of a 1 or 2 but that was it, seems like they saved the majority of birdseye back then for furniture, one would think that the grain in birdseye isnt much diff thatn any other figured maple, at least none that ive examined in the past. If you find a couple examples, escpecially with pics, please post them here, thanks, Beav

jerry:
Thanks Beaverman and If I Do I will certainly put them up. The reason I ask is that I have a piece thats been put up since about 1974 and was forgotten, my grandson found it the other day and we are discussing the possibilities of having a rifle built and we were wondering if it would be corect to use ???

Bigsmoke:
Honestly do not know about correct - but it sure is pretty when done.

Years back I had a trade gun stocked in birds eye and it was a beautiful piece of work.  I could never get it to shoot too well, but it sure was purty.

ridjrunr:
Not shure about the flinters,but I handled a birdseye sxs cap lock last fall.It was English made or at least had English locks.Very attractive gun.ridjrunr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version