Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Some Help Needed Please?

(1/2) > >>

RckyMtn Joe:
I removed the barrel and cylinder from my '51 Navy Colt Repro and it was working just fine.  After I cleaned and reassembled the gun, the cylinder binds.  I can remove the wedge and this of course allows the barrel to loosen just a bit---then it works fine again.  Replace the wedge and it binds up.  What am I doing wrong?

This is a repro from Cabelas---made by Pietta (sp?) from Italy---.36 caliber of course.

Joe

Bigsmoke:
Sounds like you are tapping the wedge in a bit too tight.  Don't set it quite so hard.

RckyMtn Joe:
I understand--but I can't even get the wedge anywhere close to being seated before the bind-up occurs---If I left the wedge where it allows the cylinder to rotate, the first shot would likely deposit it in the weeds about 20 yards from my position.

How does the screw over the wedge slot affect it?  What is its puprose?  Anyone?

RckyMtn Joe:
Purpose even---forgive my misspelling LOL.

Three Hawks:

--- Quote from: "RckyMtn Joe" ---Purpose even---forgive my misspelling LOL.
--- End quote ---

That screw is there to prevent loss of the wedge.  If you drove the wedge past the screw, you likely warped something.  You will need to look closesly at how all the parts interrelate with each other.  By closely, I mean with a 6X jeweler's loupe.

If your revolver is brass framed, you probably now have a really cool paperweight.

Before you decide to burn my barn, look at the front of the frame where the alignment pins are.  Make sure that all the mating surfaces are clean, and nothing is bent.

Good luck,

Three Hawks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version