Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Browning?

(1/4) > >>

dennyhawk:
Gonna have some spare time on my hands after the Jan. antler-less season is over here in Iowa, and I was wondering just how tough it would be to remove the blueing that is on my GPR, and brown it?? I'd like to also do the same with my Lyman Plains pistol, and remove all the ugly writing on it as well.
Ideas anyone???

nessy357:
I have browned a number of barrels using Laurel Mountain forge browning solution. It is very simple and easy to use.
I normally draw file the barrels using fine emery cloth until its smooth and shiny.
Then follow the LMF  instructions .
My son and I are going to brown his barrel pretty quick, how about if I post a couple of pics in progress ?

Cheers Bob.

melsdad:

--- Quote from: "nessy357" --- how about if I post a couple of pics in progress ?
--- End quote ---

That would be great! I have often thought about doing this to my Lyman Trade rifle.

nessy357:
We're going to start on his rifle on Wed.
I've got a pistol that i want brown also, will post pics.
Cheers Bob.

Wyoming Mike:
Blueing comes of pretty easily with Naval Jelly that can be picked up at any hardware store.

If you use a fine cut draw file to remove the stampings you should not have to do much else prior to browning.  When I am building a rifle I don't go any further than using a fine cut draw file to finish the barrel.   Just be careful with the file and not leave any file marks.  If the barrel is too highly polished the browning doesn't seem to take as fast.  When the barrel is cleaned up after browning it doesn't look any different than if you polished it with emory cloth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version