Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Neturalizing Acid Stain

(1/3) > >>

jerry:
I have just removed the old finish from a maple stocked flintlock rifle and am getting ready to re-finish it. I plan on using an acid base stain and have been told to neturalize it after getting the color i want . This is supposed to keep it from turning black as it gets older. Can anyone please advise me on how this is done or if its really nessesary?

R.M.:
Jerry, welcome. Glad you joined us.
Is neutralizing necessary? Probably. Just mix up some baking soda and water and wash the stock. Now you're going to ask the amounts. Don't know really. I probably mix a couple of spoonfulls in a cup of water. I'd rinse with plain water after to get rid of the soda.
Hope that helps. I'm sure others might be able to give more info.

Wyoming Mike:
It depends on how strong and how much acid stain you use whether it will go to black or not.  The acid will keep working on darkening the wood unless you stop it.  It will also darken the oil finish if left on.

The easiest method is to do what R.M. says.  Mix up a couple of tablespoons of Sodium Bicarbinate in a glass of water and use this solution to wash the stock.  Wash it with clear water afterwards to get rid of any leftover soda and you are finished.

Captchee:
also remeber that your finish , if you use oils , will darken the color . linseed will  darken alot over time

jerry:
Thanks guys... it does sound near as bad as I envisioned it being... puttin the stain on and keepin everything even will most likely be a lot more difficult. Whats the best way to apply the heat to maintain equal coloration the full length of the stock?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version