Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Bess is on the way!  (Read 1307 times)

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
  • You can't kill a man who is born to hang.
Re: Bess is on the way!
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 01:10:22 AM »
Wow, I wasn't expecting to see accuracy that good, even at such short ranges from a Brown Bess.  I'm more interested than ever to see what the next load combination will bring.
Member 629

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 07:04:52 AM »
Thanks for taking us with ya Storm. Looks like Mis Bess can dance with the best of them. :rt th
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »
Well, I know I promised to evaluate the Bess with tow wadding today but I'll have to wait.  I was practicing the British Army method of loading and firing but without using any powder or actually firing a shot.  I thought I was getting pretty good when I made a stupid mistake.  I thought I'd made all the stupid mistakes in my life but noooo.  I was starting with the lock in the position it would be in if just fired.  In other words, hammer down and frizzen forward.  I pulled the hammer back using my small and ring fingers.  I was racing the clock instead of paying attention and I actually pulled it to full cock.  Then I simulated biting off the end of a paper cartridge and pouring a little into the pan.  I pulled the frizzen closed and as I did I raked my trigger finger along the flint once again proving that flints are SHARP!  I don't think I could have gotten my finger on the flint had it been at half cock.  The result was a nice deep cut and a lot of blood and it's on the pad of my shooting finger.  Guess who won't be doing any shooting for a few days?

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
  • You can't kill a man who is born to hang.
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »
Hope you heal up soon, I'm sure you're not the first to have done this. There must be examples of the same thing happening through out the storied history of the Bess.
Member 629

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 11:54:23 AM »
Remarkable sr51...Goes to show all that bad mouthing on smoothies is from mostly loose loads per military standard.  I've got 2 10 bores that've never had PRB thru 'em..Now I'm going to try it soon.  If that big PRB don't knock a pig off it's feet--nothing will.  Great thread, thanks...Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »
Thanks TT.  My trigger finger is sore but healing.

Tom...I did an accuracy evaluation on that 20 Bore you sold me.  PRB accuracy on it was very good as well and I didn't have to do an extensive tuning of the lock!

I was still getting an occasional failure to kick the frizzen back on the Bess.  I noticed that the frizzen spring was leaving drag marks on the lock plate so I did a little judicious filing on the spring to get clearance.  Now the lock seems to be 100%.  

Storm
Member #632

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2014, 04:39:57 PM »
I decided that my trigger finger was good enough to put back in service so this morning I sat down to do the shooting with tow.  Temperature was 68 F, humidity 27%, and winds 10-20 mph.  Thankfully the wind was from directly behind me.  The distance was 21 yards and I was shooting from a bench.

I dry patched the bore to remove excess oil and fired a fouling charge.  I wiped the bore using a patch dampened with the 7:1 water/Ballistol solution.  There's no easy way to be sure I'm getting the same amount of tow each time so I went for eyeballing it.  Again, I was using a 75 gr FFg powder charge.  My sequence was load, fire, wipe with damp patch, and repeat.

Some time ago I evaluated a 20 bore smoothie for accuracy.  In that test using tow gave groups almost as good as a PRB.  I was really curious to see if this held true with the Bess.  I fired five shots and the result is shown in the photo.  Once again, PRB wins but not by a great deal.  I wouldn't hesitate to use either one for hunting at this range.  With more testing I may be extending that range.

Here are my final thoughts on this Made in India Bess.  I actually got more gun than I expected for $525 plus shipping.  It's accuracy potential is great.  I would advise potential buyers to accept from the outset that you may have some lock tuning to do or have done.  However you will NOT have to harden the frizzen which is common on some factory guns.  Remember, MVTC has an excellent warranty.

At this time I have the Bess listed on the Trade Blanket as for sale or trade.  I'm looking for a 20 gauge in trade and I won't turn my nose up at it if you bought it from MVTC.  If the Bess sells I intend to buy one of their Fusil deChasse guns.  My reason is simple.  A 20 uses less lead than a 12.  I also will not be disappointed if Bess remains here with me.  She is a great girl.

Storm
Member #632