Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Patch lube? & .62 ball size?

(1/3) > >>

mark davidson:
I traded for a custom .62 flinter this week and am shooting it this evening. I have pillow tick patching and need to know what to lube it with?  Spit?  Bore butter? what.....?

Also, the only balls I could get locally are .600s.  I would rather have .610s I think but will have to order some. What should I expect from the .600s and .018 pillow tick patch and a hefty charge of 2F in terms of accuracy??

Also, do I need to use wasp nest or something as cushion between powder and ball to prevent patch burning out?

Thanks in advance!

jbullard1:
Is this a rifle or smoothbore?

Bigsmoke:
In my .62 which has a 1:104 rifling, .006 deep, I use a .610 ball and .015 patch on top of 135 grains of Ffg or GOEX Cartridge (preferred).
Whenever I go over 150 grains of powder, I use a Ox Yoke 20 ga cushion wad to prevent patch burn.  At 135 it is not a problem for me.  For a patch lube I use Ol' Thunder (or spit, if I am in a hurry).  I use musket caps to get things going.  That is my load for my rifle, YMMV.
The .600 ball with the .018 ticking should not be hard to load, how it will shoot remains to be seen.
As far as accuracy with a "hefty charge" the gun will tell you the answer to that.  With mine, off a bench on a good day at 50 yards, with the above mentioned load, I can pretty much put them in one ragged hole.  As to whether you will be needing something between the powder and ball, ask your spent patches.  Go pick them up and see what they have to say.
With my rifle, I think I started working on a load at about 90 grains and went up in 5 grain increments until I found its preferred load.  Shot 3 shot groups.

mark davidson:
Thanks men!  Jerry, the rifle that I will light up this evening is rifled. I am primarily a hunter and 100 yard accuracy is a real must for me. I never owned or shot a smooth bore but most folks I have read on here about seem to indicate that accuracy beyond 50 yards with a smoothie is minimal. I could be wrong so no offense intended. Mine is 36" octagon, not swamped.

Jerry or Bigsmoke: I don't have any 20 guage cushion wads yet. What will substitute if I am getting burned patches and poor accuracy?

Also, I have plenty of .54 pre lubed cotton patches and some .54 pre lubed pillow tick patches. Is is possible to get good accuracy with the .62 ball using the smaller .54 patches??

mark davidson:
I have another question.  In working up a new load should I measure my powder by volume with a store bought brass powder measure with the increments marked or should I weigh the charge on my powder scales and work up the load by weight instead of volume?  If this is a dumb question, please excuse it. :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version