Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

My first "custom" muzzleloader.

(1/8) > >>

Uncle Russ:
I just yesterday got my very first "custom" muzzleloader, thanks to Mike Prior (Oneshot-72).

In my life time, I have owned a lot of muzzleloaders, but I have never owned a truly "custom", or real nice muzzleloader.
50% of all the muzzleloaders I've owned were already trashed out by someone else long before they got to me. Still yet, I managed to get 'em back together and shooting before they got traded off, sold, or just given away.
Aside from that, I have just never had the cash to lay out a $1,000 or so to get what I really wanted.

As I understand it, this gun was built by Mike and an acquaintance from Othello, a small town about 20 miles from where we live here in Moses Lake.
If I remember correctly, it was built about 10 years ago and has not been used since Mike got  the big .72 that had once belonged to John (Bigsmoke)
This particular .72 is a beautiful rifle, and Mike shoots it like a barn on fire!

Anywho....I don't know how to explain the appeal this particular gun had on me when I took it out of it's gun-sock....I was nothing short of awe struck.
It is amazingly balanced, a perfect fit to this old boy, and picture perfect in every way.

A few things I do know;
-It is a .62 cal "smoothie".
-It has a 38" Colerain swamped barrel.
-The Lock is a Chambers "Round-Faced" English, which is supposedly one of the best attempts ever made at being "waterproof"....
-It has a "Davis" Trigger.
-The stock is of a modified "Fowler" design, and is a full 2" across the butt plate.
-I am unsure, at this point, just what wood the stock is but I would think it is walnut, and it has a beautiful "deep" finish.....very nice wood.
-The LOP is 13.25"
-The drop at the heel is 2.75", and the heel is perpendicular to the toe.
All of this adds up to be one of the most beautiful guns I have personally ever owned, again, it's all thanks to Mike Prior.

Here is a picture of that puppy....sorry about the quality of these pictures, I usually do a little better work with pictures but I am still learning this new camera....seems I'm always learning something "new"...what in the world has happened to the old?

Uncle Russ...

rollingb:
Russ,... Congratulations on your first custom riflegun, she looks like a beauty, and the "parts" you mentioned are TOP NOTCH.  :clap  

I've got two .62 smoothies, a NWTG and an Early English Trade Gun from North Star West, and they sure are fun to shoot.

tg:
That is one nice looking Hwoitzer,er I mean fowler, seriously you have a vert nice looking guns there invets heavily in lead and powder and enjoy the journey I can't thib k of much on this continent that could stand up tp that outfit nice score.

oneshot72:
Russ, the stock is cherry.
Mike

Uncle Russ:

--- Quote from: "oneshot72" ---Russ, the stock is cherry.
Mike
--- End quote ---

Ahhh...and who would know better? Thanks, Mike

I have always thought Cherry would somehow have a "reddish" tint. But then again, I suspect we are always learning.
What is the finish on the rifle? I guess what I'm asking is, how did you do that finish? It has the "depth" and color that is often associated with good old walnut, even the figure appears to have at least some "burl" on the left side...what did you use to finish this?

BTW; Thanks again Mike, for giving me the opportunity to own this gun...it is nice!

Uncle Russ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version