Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Started on the .54 Lyman GPR Today  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Started on the .54 Lyman GPR Today
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:53:50 AM »
Well, as the topic states, I started on my .54 Lyman GPR kit (caplock) this mid morning. I have to say that the .50 Lyman GPR Flintlock kit I did 12/13 years ago (if I recall) seems like it was much more easy and the parts had a better fit back then for a kit rifle. Don't get me wrong, these are still great kits and great rifles to have, and a little extra fitting work is no big deal once you weigh what you'll have to enjoy shooting at the end result of completion. Highly recommend these kits, and the flintlock kits as well.

I think I'm just going to go with a dark walnut stain tomorrow, and while coat #1 is drying, I'll blue the metal parts. I expect by this coming Wednesday (10/24/17) if the weather is permitting I just might get to shoot this rifle and start the zeroing process. For now the plan is to go with the "stock" fixed sights it comes with,,, I've never cared much for that adjustable sight these rifles come with, but many folks have had great results with them. Me,,, I like the fixed sights, always have on all my muzzleloading rifles.

:shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
Re: Started on the .54 Lyman GPR Today
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 07:00:32 PM »
OJ, I hope you'll update the project with photos every so often.  Btw, the fixed sight is completely trouble free v. the Lyman/Investarms adjustable sight.  (Don't ask how I know this! ::)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Started on the .54 Lyman GPR Today
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 11:06:08 PM »
Maven. go to this link here. I'm basically finished with this kit. I've got a picture posted.  :bl th up

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska