Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Trade Gun or Fowler?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Buffler Razz:
Pinecone,
Welcome to the TMA. Have not seen you since the bidding wars during the TG St Judes Auction.

I just took delivery of all the pieces parts to build a Colonial Fowler in 20 gauge. My preference was for the fowler. I like the lines of it, the fitted buttplate and the long trigger guard. Plus, the wood I have is cherry which most likely would not have been used in a Trade Gun. I think it gets to what you like. I have a few frieds with Tullies and I have shot them. I personally don't care for the look of the curve of the stock.
Razz

tg:
You would do well to try and put some of these to the shoulder some do not like the Pied de vache stock of the "Tulle" hunting guns, the French trade guns have straighter stocks and the English guns even straighter stocks, most find the NW gun fits/shoots very well some prefer a bit more curvature/drop you will not know untill you have tried them, I prefer the Pied de Vache after having tried or owned all the others but I was able to work on the comb as I worked the wood down to get it where it was best for me.

Pinecone:
Thanks, everyone.  I'm leaning toward a Fowler at this point as I do like some drop and curvature to the butt.

Buffler...good to see ya again!  I'll be doing my thing for St. Judes again this year, so I hope I see you over there as well.

Claudia

mark davidson:
Dumb question??? What is the basic difference between a "fowler" and a "trade gun."  I'm new so please be kind. :-)

tg:
Quite often the trade guns were a cheaper lower quality version of the current style of Fowler that was predominate in a particular country.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version