Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Hawk Blocks  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Hawk Blocks
« on: October 10, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »
How many of our members keep a Hawk Block in their yard for practice or just plain ol' enjoyment?

I've kept one for over 20 years for myself and to teach my kids and now grandson to learn how to throw and stick the Hawk so when we go to Rondy he'll be ready to get into the kids Hawk throw, and of course I'll be ready for the Hawk throw in my bracket.

Next to the shooting competitions, the Hawk event is a favorite of mine,,, not that I ever win, I just flat out enjoy it!  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Hawk Blocks
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 03:04:05 PM »
I did keep hawk blocks all the time I was in Idaho, about 30 years.  Always enjoyed having it available, if for no other reason than to work off some stress.  Never could get the technique down of knife throwing, though.  What an embarrassment that was!!
Where I am at now, I am sure Governor Moonbeam has enacted some silly legislation regarding discharging a loaded tomahawk inside the city limits.  But, that's just Kalifornia for you.  What a place.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 04:53:15 PM »
I keep two in my yard for knife and hawk throwing for practice and teaching others that say, "Hey whats that for?"

As a matter of fact, I was out practicing once and my wife joined me. She has her own hawk and knife as well. When she stuck them both, she grabbed the knife with her right hand and her hawk with her left. So when we got back to the line, she just threw them with the hand that was holding them...and stuck them both. She reversed it the next time and threw them that way...and stuck them both.

I said, "Why don't you go back in the house?"

She just laughed...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »
That's darn good throwing by your wife, Spotted Bull.  :shake

I've never mastered the knife part, perhaps I might stick it 60% of the time, and maybe not even that much? The hawk sure is fun, and not many at the doin's out this way throw knife very much so I quit practicing that a long time ago.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska