Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: flintlock vs caplock speed  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Mike R

• TMA Forum Member
flintlock vs caplock speed
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:41:55 AM »
I have taken grief over the years for my opinion that caplocks are faster than flintlocks--many telling me that I simply don't know what I am doing and their flinter is every bit as fast as a caplock.  Well, Larry Pletcher has set up a test of that [see ALR site] and here's the results: using identical small Siler locks in flint & percussion [I know from experience that both versions are fast reliable locks--I have one of each mounted on separate rifles], he timed the ignition using a pistol frame.  In 15 trials each the average time from sear engagement until material exited the bore was 0.0115 sec for the percussion and 0.074 for the flinter--that is the percussion lock was over 6 times as fast [6.4X]. This has been my experience too, that lock/ignition times & times that the ball exits the barrel are faster for percussion guns--thus making them easier to hold on target. This plus the more waterproof nature of the system is one reason the caplock won out historically.  NOT saying that flinters are not fun or not reliable--I know I'll get alot of letters on this, always do--but the tests times are undeniable.
Ch Mbr#53 ,dues in Feb

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:42:44 AM »
at one time mike ,  flinters were thought to be faster  as they threw the spark ahead of  the cock fall . thus  ignition would be happening before contact of the hammer to cap on a caplock ..

but with the advent of time laps photography,  when know that this isn’t really the case . As to testing of this , I believe the NMLRA did those same tests many years back and found that a flintlock was only about 10, 1000ths slower  In ignition  IE pop of cap to flash in pan
 Now as I recall , that was with perfectly matched locks . IE mainspring tension was  matched , drag was matched .
 Now actual ignition of the main charge was  according to the article =
 The reason being was that  the  flintlock had a shorter   flash channel to the main charge , while a caplock had a  longer one  with a 90 deg turn . However , because of the design of the nipple which concentrated the pressure from the cap , it made op for the  difference .
 This was tested  by filament burn  basically using the same test set up , to test the burn rates of powder

Now I can tell you this much , with all honesty .
 If your flintlock is 6X slower then a caplock , then you have issues  somewhere .  Either in the tuning of your lock ,  build up in the bore  or design of your flash hole or  liner  is the case may be .

As to being more water proof . I think we have to discern what we are comparing .
 In order to do a test of this  subject , everything has to be like or = . If we don’t do  that then we have  to discern variables

If we are talking period caps , I would  say no . modern caps , I would say a cap lock excels little over a flintlock  with  non  experienced shooters .
Among experienced shooters .  IMO the flintlock is  more reliable in wet weather then a cap lock . Reason being is the ease of inspecting your ignition  on a flintlock  and the complete in ability to do so on a cap lock

The list could go on  and on really

The point is however that there are draw backs to both designs  . Speaking as a long time  20+ year shooter of flintlocks  , who started out with cap locks , I  chose a flinter for the following reasons

1)    reliability , . I found that once i learned the  flintlock , it was very much more reliable then a cap lock .  When it failed , it was my fault ..
 The days of  popping gaps  due to plugged nipple, replacing nipples  because of distortion “ remember we have much better nipple and nipple designs then  those used in the 1830’s “ no more issues with  fouling build up in the bolster or Lube contamination in the bolster .
 I also find no discernable difference in speed of ignition or length of hold  
2)  speed and easy of loading . No more fumbling for caps  with cold hands .  Or loading a  quick capper , exposing the caps to moisture , causing weak or dud caps . Not to mention no more need to buy caps . For that mater searching for one brand of caps over another . Because  one brand  is found to be hotter , less failures in a tin , so as to negate all the other issues
Thus adding one more thing to the list of items making  my shooting less self sufficient

3) the knowledge base about the rifle itself . There simple is a whole lot more going on . I have to be more aware of the rifle and its needs . If I fail in that  aspect , then  all is for not .
 i rather enjoy that part . it makes the rifle more part of me  as it relies on me as much as i rely on it .

As such I can tell you this much . If it came down to me having to chose between a cap lock and a flintlock for my survival. The flintlock would be my choice , hands down  .
 The  over whelming reason for that is  its reliability rests soul on me . Not on  the competence of someone else . Its capability of  being kept in a  higher % of functional state “ fire able “ for a much longer period of time . IE no need for a supply of caps or replacement nipples  .
 With a flintlock  worst case , you can lose the main spring , frizzen , frizzen spring  and the rifle is still capable of being modified in the field  to fire a  projectile .
 But with a cap lock . You run out of caps , damage a nipple and not have a replacement. Lose the main spring  and you have nothing but a   club or walking stick even though you may have powder and ball

So  IMO #3 is why the cap  lock for a very short time became so popular . Its simply human nature  and is also why the caplock died, relatively speaking  rather quickly

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:38:46 AM »
Thanks for the report Mike!
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline Mule Brain

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »
I would say that percussion is faster, but then again I am not doing all I can to make the flinter as fast as it can be!

I found this article by Paul Vallandigham, to be rather interesting. I will quote a few things from it. I would like for others to chime in on this!!!!

I am not an expert on anything, but want to learn as much as possible. It just needs to be accurate information!

From Paul

Flintlocks are actually faster to fire than a percussion gun, all things being equal. By that I mean, if you have two side lock actions, one flint and other percussion, and the flintlock is tuned properly (has the flint mounted properly in the cock, has a good frizzen that sparks, the angle of the cock will throw the sparks into the middle of the priming pan, and the main charge has been poked with a vent pick to allow more than one granule of powder to be ignited by the priming charge at one time), the main charge in a flintlock will be burning before the hammer on the percussion gun strikes the percussion cap. The priming powder ignites and in turn ignites the main charge in the barrel before the cock finishes its stroke and comes to a rest. The percussion gun, by design, has to strike the cap between the hammer and the nipple to cause ignition, so the flintlock has to fire sooner. Flintlocks fire quicker, lock time being equal.

1. In a flintlock, you don't pack the powder by ramming the ball down hard on the powder charge. A flintlock has to burn the powder one granule at a time, while a percussion cap sends a flame burning or pushing its way through the powder charge, igniting lots of powder all at once. A percussion cap actually detonates the powder, much like the primer in a cartridge does today.

The flintlock was designed to start a fire that quickly ignites all the powder to create the gases needed to expel the projectile. Load the ball using a marked ramrod, so that you load to a mark you have made on the ramrod that represents where the ball just begins to touch the powder under it. (You can feel and sometime hear a grinding action when the ball touches the powder). Leave extra air between powder granules, to speed the burning process in a flintlock. Actually, there is enough oxygen in the powder itself to provide all the O2 it needs for combustion. But extra oxygen helps it burn faster. (That is the secret!)

3. Use a vent pick to poke a channel in the main powder charge in the barrel. This allows room for the flame from the prime to enter the barrel through the touchhole, and burn several granules of powder simultaneously. This speeds ignition so much that I have had club members come up to me while reloading to ask if I am shooting a flintlock or a percussion gun! When I show them the flint action, they all want to know how I do that. Now you know.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/flintlocks.htm
Keep Your Powder Dry, And Your Back To The Wind!

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:46:11 AM »
I support captchee 100% on this. There is little doubt that the caplock, on average may prove in tests to be miliseconds faster than a flinter, human reaction time remains fairly constant, the difference in ignition has no effect on the point of aim. If , as Captchee stated, you only want to be able to shoot your weapon without becomming a part of it. The caplock is the way to go.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Mike R

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:51:28 AM »
Captchee--I am not saying that MY flintlock is 6 times slower--if you read the report [ALR] summarized in my post above, you will see that the tested locks--identical Small Siler locks except for one being flint and the other caplock--were timed, and that in 15 trials of each with very little scatter in times, the caplock was 6.4 times faster than the flintlock--that is purely a math calculation, 0.0115 goes into 0.074 sec 6.4+ times, that is you have to multiply 0.0115 by 6.4+ to get 0.074 sec.  Those are actual measurements in a controlled test.
Ch Mbr#53 ,dues in Feb

Offline Mike R

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 12:01:26 PM »
To address a couple of points brought up [and yes I knew I'd take flak on this]:  as to caplocks firing under water--modern vs old--when Audabon first saw a caplock rifle, in 1830 in New Orleans, the owner could not wait to show him a demo--the owner immersed his rifle in a cistern of water and fired it!  Audabon was impressed and I bet others were too back in 1830 when caplocks were just starting to take off in popularity--this demo was obviously with period caps.  As to the time delay of flinters vs caplocks [proved by timing tests], my experience has been that it is noticeable, and does affect aim, and that is supported by every expert I have ever read who advises practice in holding one's aim longer with the flinter.  Look. I am not trying to degrade flinters or there use [I love mine and that is about all I shoot any more]--just to point out the realities of them.  Like Captchee, every time this is discussed I get told I don't know what I am doing or have faulty guns. Maybe my senses are just finer tuned than ya'lls  ;)
Ch Mbr#53 ,dues in Feb

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »
I'm with ya Mike. I believe the testing is accurate. My FL is fast enough that when there is fire in the pan, fire is showing at the muzzle, but it ain't as fast as a cap, and if I don't follow through with my aim, I may miss. I also believe that many could misjudge time when it comes to thousandths of a second, or even hundredths. That why electronic timers are used. Much of it too, is as you get more used to the FL, you notice the delay less, and think it faster than it acually is. Which is a good thing.

Offline SimonG

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://hunterstavern.proboards.com/index.cgi
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 04:09:37 PM »
Ok.

not sure what the point is mike? I might have missed it in the post, apologies if I read over it...

Caplock faster than flinter, CVA ARC electronic ignition faster than Caplock... gotcha...

still like my flinter better than either "Modern , faster" options, and wool over GoreTex...also don't shoot compounds with carbon arrows and keep shaving on ash staves and POC.....I guess I will take my "Backwoods Idiot Hick" sticker now, thanks.
TMA full member #419 expires 02/14/2010
http://hunterstavern.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:10:18 PM »
As I try and regress in time I have come to know the cap is slightly faster, only very, than the flint, BUT guess what; shooting a flint only makes me more accurate (read, less flinch) while shooting a caplock.
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 06:31:52 PM »
mike , no lock is identical . you can have two cap locks , of the same make  and one will be faster then the other . .
 tuning veries , spring wieghts very , frictionsvery
 thats my point , nothing more
 i have 2   mantons on my sxs , both flints , a left hand and a right hand . the right lock is faster in the fall then the left

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »
Does anyone have any tests for speed on underhammers?

Offline Mike R

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 09:52:03 AM »
Quote from: "SimonG"
Ok.

not sure what the point is mike? I might have missed it in the post, apologies if I read over it...

Caplock faster than flinter, CVA ARC electronic ignition faster than Caplock... gotcha...

still like my flinter better than either "Modern , faster" options, and wool over GoreTex...also don't shoot compounds with carbon arrows and keep shaving on ash staves and POC.....I guess I will take my "Backwoods Idiot Hick" sticker now, thanks.

I thought the point obvious, but I expected flak [and got it] because many flint shooters have an almost religious attachment to them to the point of ignoring hard evidence--I was presenting some hard evidence of the first tests that I was aware of that were done with modern scientific methods and tools.  That is all.  Larry Pletcher has done everyone interested in the truth about how things work  a great service by controlled testing of such things as powder and vent hole positions relative to the pan, lock/ignition speeds and now comparisons of flint vs caplock speeds [which if you believe many many anecdotes here and elsewhere would suggest no difference--he is testing it scientifically].  Larry will tell you that the experiments are not over--these are results of the first series of tests, but there is little doubt of the results.  He has a superfast flintlock [customed tuned] that he intends to time next. Perhaps the 6.4X ratio will be less with it.  I posted this simply FYI ,and if you don't care don't pay any attention to it.
Ch Mbr#53 ,dues in Feb

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 12:59:51 PM »
Mike, I fully understand your point, and the need for discussion on such a topic.
I have been at this game a looong time....not the Rendezvous, PC, HC, developing a persona, etc, etc, but the actual gun part.

I have had a love for muzzleloaders that dates back to the 1940's when Grandpa promised me his old "homemade" muzzleloader that was built by some feller over in another county.
In those days there was no such thing as "custom"....It was either store bought, or homemade.

Be it a Capper, or a Flinter, no one can say these guns are not tremendously facinating, and a heck of a lot of fun learning to overcome what many see as short comings.
I mean after all, the only thing most folks have, or know, to compare a good muzzleloader to is a smokeless rifle of some kind, and they are just not the same breed of cat.

Reason tells me a Caplock is faster, but it seems to end right there.

Beaverman now has a .54 GPR Flinter that is as fast, or perhaps even faster, than any flintlock I have ever had the opportunity to shoot.
I have often "thought" there was a good chance that this particular rifle is possibly faster than any run-of-the-mill caplock....but that, of course, was based on perception and no actual measurements.
At any rate, there is no "flinch time" and no "hold through". You pull the trigger and the ball is on the way....is that fast? You bet!

My .69 cal has no flash hole liner, whereas all my other flinters do, and with age (since the early 1970's) I feel confident that particular flash hole has become enlarged, because I get the distinct feeling that the gun just may be getting better with age....Kirkland Turner sold these brand spanking new in the 60's and 70's for the ungodly sum of $135.00
But then we have to ask ourself,  is it the fact there is better and better powder being made today than, say 35 / 40 years ago? or, have I just "learned" the gun?  Heck! I dunnno. But I do know that .69 is a great old gun, both with roundball and shot.

With the "scientific" measurements I have read about, we talk about times that are so fast that I seriously doubt anybody can tell any actual difference...whether real or imagined.
When dealing with time measurements, it has always seemed to me that when we take a tennie tiny bit away from an already little bitty number, we stil have something very itty bitty...does that make sense?

Perception, and acceptance of fact, is a big thing to consider when shooting a muzzleloader.
If you have only one muzzleloader, be it capper or flinter, and you shoot it all the time under the "perception" that it is fast, then it will be fast...at least to you.
And that can be said about fast, or slow. (There is a lot in how you percieve the lock time.)
Now the "fact" may be that when I shoot that same gun, I just may feel the ignition is slow...slow, compared to what?
Slow compared to one of my very similar guns, because that is my own  perception of how fast, or slow, that flinter or capper really is.
What I'm getting at here is the fact that no one can percieve a difference in .0005 seconds, and .005 seconds.

Can we live with what we have, and become proficient in its use?
I think so. I think that the more familiar we become with any gun, the more proficient we will become with that gun...be it slow, or fast.

Good thread with many good replies. I hope it continues.

By talking with others, and accepting the fact that our gun is what it is, after we have performed all the real tricks, along with all the old wives tales that we learn on the Internet, then I would say it would be time to turn to the fact that we have what we have...it is what it is, and we are going to learn that gun inside and out.
I think we will all have a fast, or fast enough gun.

Just my thoughts.

Uncle Russ....
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 01:18:12 PM »
Russ, my thoughts exactly.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013