Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Penetration  (Read 1833 times)

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
Penetration
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:57:31 PM »
I made a 4-inch, 3-layer circle of leather (1/2" total thickness) to test penetration.

My first shot I made with my .45 cal. Japanese matchlock with 45gr. of 3F at 50 paces.  I nailed it with my first shot; the ball went through all three layers.

I tried shooting it with my .50 cal. flintlock pistol at about half the distance, but my shooting wasn't as good.  I switched to my .36 cal. 1861 Navy Colt (EMF) revolver using 15gr. at about 10 paces; the ball went most of the way through the first layer.  I then tried 20gr. and it went completely throught the first layer.

Has anyone else tried penetration tests?  If so, what were your results?

In the attached pic, the matchlock ball was the top hole; the other two were from the revolver.

Member #424

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:33:49 PM »
I usually use a 2x4 for penetration tests....
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:41:40 PM »
Quote from: "Mitch"
I usually use a 2x4 for penetration tests....

I should have mentioned why I used leather.  As my dissertation deals with firearms in Korean Joseon dynasty (1392-1910), I wanted to simulate a simple body armor.  However, I probably should have added one more layer.

Out of curiosity, what kind of penetration did you get with the 2x4?
Member #424

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:52:21 PM »
For a while, I had some 25 pounds blocks of modeling clay.  Sounded like a good thing to shoot at.  Got out a 4 bore and loaded it with about 400 grains of Fg.
I lined up four blocks and shot into them.  The first one disappeared, as did the second one.  The third one split in half and the fourth one developed a huge conical hole in it.  The ball kept going and buried into some frozen ground.
Still having some powder and a few ball left, I then filled up 7 one gallon jugs with water and obliterated all of those, the ball continuing on  about a foot into the frozen backstop.
I was out of stuff to shoot at, so called it a day.
When I shot the clay blocks, I have no idea how high the pieces went, but they sure did rain down for quite some time.
I got the idea from Ron Dahlitz at Buffalo Bullet for using the clay.  He had a photo of a block puffing out from being shot on his catalog.  I asked him how he kept it from going all over the place when he shot it.  I don't think he quite got the drift of the question until I explained to him my results.  After, he said, well heck, John, you're shooting these darn cannons, what do you expect to happen?
I never shot at a 2 x 4 with one of these, but I don't think one would be much of a challenge to penetrate.  I kinda doubt if two would be either.  I did blow a hole through a bowling pin once with my 8 bore.  I though it might make a pretty good pin gun, just for the heck of it.  The layer of plastic on it held it together quite well.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline firefoot

• TMA Forum Member
penetration
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:44:21 AM »
A good way to find out penetration is to shoot at the THICK phone books. Set one up about 40 yards out. The book will catch the bullet easy, you just flip the pages and see where it stop. My 62 cal smoothbore can blow right through one so you can back it up with a second thick phone book.

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 11:34:38 AM »
with my .40, it'll punch thru a 2x4 at 100yds.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 08:09:42 PM »

A 2x4 what?  Oak, Sugar Pine, Western Red Cedar, Douglas Fir, Cypress, Long Leaf Pine, Poplar, Hemlock, Spruce?  All of these come in unknown variations of density.   The subject of penetration has been hashed over, chewed on and cussed about for as long as men have been forcing bits of lead out of metal tubes with burning brimstone and nitre.    

I'd think it'd be better if we could find something of uniform density and known behavior when hit with a lead roundball.   A white tail or Coast black tail deer of 150 lbs. or so comes to mind.   I'm gonna do my penetration test this fall with the .40 cal. barrel I'm making for my T-C Seneca.   That ought to give some definitive data and with a bit of favor from the spirits, some venison.

I've never been able to develop a taste for splintered lumber, no matter how it's prepared or what sauce is put on it.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 08:40:58 PM »
a 2x4 from a jobsite-usually doug fir or somekind of pine...geez...how's this-I can take the head OFF a prairie dog at 120yds with my .40....do you know what a prairie dog is? if not, it's similar to a squirrel and lives in a hole in the ground...

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 12:52:23 AM »
Quote from: "Three Hawks"

A 2x4 what?  Oak, Sugar Pine, Western Red Cedar, Douglas Fir, Cypress, Long Leaf Pine, Poplar, Hemlock, Spruce?  All of these come in unknown variations of density.   The subject of penetration has been hashed over, chewed on and cussed about for as long as men have been forcing bits of lead out of metal tubes with burning brimstone and nitre.    

I'd think it'd be better if we could find something of uniform density and known behavior when hit with a lead roundball.   A white tail or Coast black tail deer of 150 lbs. or so comes to mind.   I'm gonna do my penetration test this fall with the .40 cal. barrel I'm making for my T-C Seneca.   That ought to give some definitive data and with a bit of favor from the spirits, some venison.

It's can even be difficult to achieve an example of true "uniform density" on live critters (the size of deer), espeacily when shooting them with small calibur muzzleloaders such as a .40 calibur.
Just the slightest nick of bone, or a shot placed thru some muscle, can have a HUGE effect on the degree of penetration (on deer-sized game) with the small caliburs.

As calibur size goes up, the less effect bone and muscle has on a round ball's penetration because of increased momentum with a heavier ball (as long as a corresponding powder charge is used to retain nearly the same velocities among varying caliburs).

I've never been able to develop a taste for splintered lumber, no matter how it's prepared or what sauce is put on it.

Three Hawks
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:24:55 AM »
Quote from: "Three Hawks"

I think it all depends upon one's need for the test.  Mine, as mentioned above, was to look at old-style armor penetration, so I chose layers of leather.  I'll call it the Bluelake Leather Test (BLT, but with extra mayo)  :)   I should have made the test piece with a few more layers, but I didn't.
Member #424

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:45:09 AM »
Ah but did your layers of leather replicate the armor?  3 layers of deer hide is much different that three layers of bison.  Boiled, tanned cowhide is much different than chemical tanned from the same cow.  

Phone books, wet phone books, modeling clay, are all good comparing different loads and bullet alloys to one another..., they don't really tell you what happens on impact with living tissue.   Even ballistic gelatin fails on that point.  

For example if one load and bullet goes through two wet phone books, and a second load and bullet stops 1/3 of the way through the second phone book, it shows that the first load had better penetration, but if all you need is to be able to pass through a single wet phone book from the Washington Metro area to kill any whitetail out to 100 yards, then the comparison is moot as long as everything else is equal.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 01:49:07 PM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
Ah but did your layers of leather replicate the armor?  3 layers of deer hide is much different that three layers of bison.  Boiled, tanned cowhide is much different than chemical tanned from the same cow.  

No, it wouldn't, except in a very general way.  The average Korean soldier's "armor" was a padded cotton vest (which, being old and dry, often caught fire when hit).  Korean officers' armor varied: layered leather, metal, or a combination thereof.  Japanese armor (the Koreans' historic foe) also varied.  I mainly used it as a general "bullet resister", so that I could see what happened with different rounds, loads, etc.  It really showed me something: that at 50 paces, light armor--or none in the case of US forces in 1871--would not really be protection from a .45 cal. smoothbore matchlock, although it could possibly save a Korean soldier's life if shot with a .36 cal. revolver at about ten paces away (he would probably be very sore, however).
Member #424

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »
ahhh yes , yes and yes .
 In fact in the mid 1990's i  was part of alot of  tests  to judge penetration test using RB and soft lead conical
 We use ballistic jell which is the accepted way to judge penetration on tissue    
 You can make your own
 Now why did  we do this . Well basically at that time it was a fight as to how much energy a RB needed at a given distance so as to be  adequate to make a clean kill . IE  having enough energy to get  into the hart and lungs at a given distance .
 My opinion at the time was that even at 200 yards a PRB would penetrate  substantially.
 I basted this opinion on what I saw  in damage  concerning 200+ yard steel targets   with 80 to 100 grains of powder . This link will help you make a jell
ORDNANCE GELATIN
http://www.firearmstactical.com/tactica ... ticle1.htm

What  I used was  the above recipe but use two 8 oz. boxes of plain Knox gelatin off the supermarket shelf. should cost you around 10bucks .
used a basic formula of one pound of gelatin powder to one gallon of water. mix your gelatin in two batches using 8 oz. of powder and 2 quarts of water. After measuring out the cold water, added the gelatin powder all at once. stirred the powder in carefully, trying to moisten all of the granules without adding too much air. The mixture should be about like mashed potatoes .

set the gel mixture in the refrigerator to chill and hydrate (a process known as “blooming”) for two hours. then set the gelatin over a pan of water “ or double boiler and heated it until its melted.
Use a candy thermometer to make sure the gelatin mixture does not get hotter than 130 degrees.
While its melting stirred carefully ,you don’t want air to get trapped in the gelatin block .

Now prepare your mould . You need a release of some kind or you can use warm water to pop the jell from the mould . In our tests we simply used 2 large salad bowls . Inside each , we lightly coated with Pam non stick spray . This aloud the gelatin to pop out nicely .
On one of our tests we also used a cardboard box lined with 3 plastic bags , one inside the other . This worked good and we were able to simple pull the box and plastic off the jell . But the wife wasn’t to happy with me taking racks out of the frig . LMAO I forgot and left the milk on the counter ..
Now if your going to place bones in the mould IE a shoulder bone , then now is the time to do it . Set it about an inch to 2 inches inside the edge of the mould . Be sure to suport it so it stays in that location tell things are set up
Set the jell in the frig for 24 to 36 hours . You want it set up , all the way through .

When that’s done , get your camp cooler . You going to need to keep the stuff cool on the way to the field . Also keep it cool tell your ready to shoot it . If it’s a hot day , it will start to get runny . Not good for your tests
Now the neat thing here is that when your done , you can re use it …Simply heat it back up , being careful not to get over the 130 deg mark . If you have buts of dirt , bark and grass in it as we did just pour it through a cheese cloth strainer then re cool . It will last along time and give you lots of shooting .

Some of the things we tested with this set up was the difference between hard and soft balls IE wheel weights and soft lead.
We also tested the differences in different conical . IE how the different shapes were effected
Also we tested different calibers , different charges and the resulting wound channels .
Later these same test were again duplicated using certified ballistics’ jell and complied with field data from actual harvests obtained through and with cooperation from the Idaho department of fish and game . Done completely by another individual .

Now I wrote this on another board but I think it needs said here to  give folks some idea of the context and why  I thought as I did at the time

to reasons IMO we see what we do .
1) the choice of bullet
2) the distance

see at  5 yards , with a rifle , you have a VERY high Velocity .  when the bullet hits , it cant hold together . now thats depending on the bullet  design .

the other reason a RB will poke a hole at 150 yards  is  whats call density and distribution of  energy .

See if we go back to the roundball , place that 1/8 target at 150  but let it swing  free ,  you seldom get  complet pass through .
 But if that same target is mounted on a stand  so as its rigid , then  the bullet will force its way through .
 The reason for that is the steal itself ..
 If you really want to be confused , load a 45 cal up with 90 grains of powder and mount a 3/8  steel plate at 100 yards
 Then make the same shot with a 54 or 62 but using 80 grains of powder  .
 Go  to the back side of the target and look at what  round distorted the steel the most . What you will find is that the little 45 , just about  pushes its way through . But the 54 and 60  just leaves a nice dent .
 Now ask yourself which round carried the most energy , the 45 , 54 or 62 ?
 If you said the 62 , you would be right . See the reason for this is  the 45’s energy is  contained to a smaller area  upon contact . Where the energy of the larger rounds is  displaced over a larger area .

But comparing  energies on steel , is not directly related to  a target such as an animal .
 It took some time for me to understand this .
  This is also one of the big problems I have with conical manufactures that  like to tout energies . They get those energies from mathematics as well as  measurement taken from steel  impacts .
 However , that doesn’t mean that , that is how much energy a conical delivers. It only means that’s what it carries .
 See inorder to  diliver all that energy , the projectile must come to a complete stop . if it goes through , that means it still carring energy  that has not  been completely  spent on the target .
  But what happens on a soft target , is that you have not only resistance but also drag . This is all added to a soft materials ability to disperse that energy quickly away from impact like   ripples on a pond  or a 4X4  hitting a mud hole , things slow very quickly ,.
 As I said , archers already know this and use it  in everything from their  practice targets  right down to designs for their  hunting broad heads .

Now here is two targets  I had out behind my shop .
 These fist two are 1/8 steel . These were  and are our 100 and 200 yard targets
the ram  was my deminstration targets  from the 1990's .
 notice  it has 2 clear holes . the distorted one is from a 50 cal  and the clean one a 45  cal RB
this was shot with a CVA hawkens  50 cal  using max loads of 110 grains  and a 45 cal CVA kentuck with a max load of 90 grains

now i wish i still had the photos of those rounds fired into BJ . but i dont . while the shots were real impressive on steel ,, they were no where impressive  when fired into jell .

now here our current  targets we use for   25-100 yards  . they made of 1/4 inch steel .
 now notice the very clear and well defined  dimples . the deep ones are 45 cal . you can actualy measure the balls  impact .. the bigger the ball the less the depth " concisdering heavy  45 loads comparied to 80-100 grain  54 and 60 loads . again the reason for this is that the larger round distributes its energy  more broadly  over the area of the steel

now here is  our clubs current  150 and 200 yard targets  1/4 inch steel
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:01:22 PM by Captchee »

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 06:03:22 PM »
Good post, Cap!  :shake

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline riverrat

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »
I shoot into milk jugs filled with water, usually 5 lined up in a row backed by a hemlock log.  All my modern pistols, 1911's in 45acp and 10mm full power loads make it through 3 jugs and get caught in the 4th jug.  My .60 cal rifle with a roundball over 60grs of 3f blow through all 5 milk jugs and get caught by the log.  Talk about penetration!
TMA Charter Member #91
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
PA Federation of BP Shooters
DAV Life Member
PA Longbow Assoc
NMLRA