Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Penetration  (Read 1834 times)

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 01:10:27 AM »
Great stuff, guys!
Member #424

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 02:12:09 AM »
Quote from: "RussB"
Good post, Cap!  :shake

Uncle Russ...

What Uncle Russ said!!  That is the kind of test I love to see the results from.  

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 05:14:51 AM »
What Uncle Russ said!! That is the kind of test I love to see the results from.

Ditto from me...lotta powder and lead used up for this info.
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Well again guys , im sorry I don’t have photos anymore of the  penetration tests on jell .
 that’s been along time ago .
 What I can tell you  is what I  saw  is what has me a firm believer in the 100 yard rule

Something you will see in these jell tests that you don’t see  when firing into wood or paper is that a projectile leave 2 different wound channels . Some of you have heard me speak of this before .
 1) is the primary  or permanent cavity  
2) is the secondary  or temerity cavity

The first is the actual channel made by the projectile  passing through the object . That what your seeing in the leather  targets  Blue lake  posted  as well  as the hole in paper phone books or , water jugs , or what have you .

The second is caused by energy transfer  not bullet deformation . HOWEVER  if the projectile deform prior to contact then you get a larger primary  and  secondary because the larger area of the projectile , creates a larger area of energy transfer,. However in doing so , the expansion also reduces  the penetrating ability of the projectile  do to  large are a of friction  that gets applied to the  projectile . So basically in simple terms. A projectile that holds together  will penetrate deeper then a projectile that expands. When fired from the same charge . This is because the total energy is contained  more to the projectile then transferring into the target  

This is what you see  when center fire hunting  when folks state the lost the shoulder  from  bruising or  blood clotting.  This energy  transfer causes a  disruption of tissue , blood vassals and nerves   .
  When firing into jell , you will see this

Here is a high velocity  bullet test into  jell that shows the primary and secondary wounds clearly .

Now here is where we run into a rub .. If  when doing your tests you don’t use  a medium that properly simulates the target  you will be shooting at  your test will be off , in fact most time WAY off .

Take the leather  that blue lakes  shot into .
As I understand it , what he was trying to find out , was how well a RB penetrated the leather armor of a soldier  of that period .
 However  its important to realize that while  this leather patch  might  represent the leather armor well .
 If he hung it  or even mounted it  say to a board , his results will be off .  Not just in penetration but also  in seeing the effects of that penetration on the projectile .
 Why ? Because as I mentioned before  with steel targets . The  resistance is different which  changes the energy transfer .  
 The armor supported / backed by  say a human body is not ridged . But at the same time its not fluid like  if the leather patch was simply hung  from a target stand .

See most folks misunderstand what a bullet does .  See we see a hole and we thing  WOW!!! look at that . The bullet cut right through that .
 But we are wrong . A bullet doesn’t cut  or drill its way through . It actually  stretches its target  to the point  the target gives .
 so we can draw a wrong conclussion when whe shoot into a  more solid target  . tissue doesnt act this way ,  it grabs onto and drags the  projetile down  .

As a comparison . If you take a balloon  and place you finger against it  and push , what happens ?  The balloon stretches .. The harder you push “ apply more energy , the cavity caused by the elasticity of the balloon gets   deeper right . . If you   apply enough energy , the  rubber the balloon is made from cant take it and it tears away . Tissue is some ways is like that balloon  in that as the  projectile enters it stretches then  fails   thus the bullet penetrates .. but at the same time  as the projectile passes through tussue that more  resitand or denser . it uses more of its stored energy to  push and tear its way through

Here is a jell test showing that effect. now this is part of a time laps photo  taken while the projectile is moving . thats why the wound channel looks as it does .  basicly it hasnt had the split secounds needed to close back up and settle  .

If you notice on the right edge of this  jell test is a  material  to simulate  skin / Hide.   notice the cavity behind it . This is caused by the  projectile stretching in  the hide   until such time it cant  take the energy anymore  . The rest is the primary and secondary wound , showing the effect of the  projectile  on the softer tissue
 Courtesy of   Fire arms ID.com

So if the reaction of that tissue isn’t accurately   represented , your results will be off , not only on penetration but  the deformation of that bullet .
 This is why  materials like Duxseal is no longer used any longer .  Because it does not properly simulate the effects of tissue , either in wound channel or in  effects to the bullet itself

A  Dr named Foster   did a write  up as well as  a video  back in the  1970  that showed the differences  using poor mediums to test  penetration.
Firearms ID .com has the last 12 minutes of that movie  posted on their web site ..
 Here is the link .  Its alittle slow to run and its granny but  its well worth watching .
 He shows  the difference of the effects on both wound and penetration as well as  projectile deformity   in jell Vs Duxseal

http://www.firearmsid.com/Gelatin/index.htm

This very thing is what we ran into with our jell test in the mid 1990’s  and is why  after doing such tests  proper  certified jell was needed to confirm or disprove what was found ..
 As a note here.  the certified tests actually produced less  then what we found with our homemade jell . .
 Because the quality of our  jell was not  adequacy right to withstand the scrutiny of a   more scientific  evaluation .But what our homemade jell did  do was allow us a base of study  to start off with , that was much cheaper then  certified jell .

now TC  has some bolistics test  . but they are on modern muzzleloading  using modern bullets .
 myself , i was less then impressed with the results they found  even at 25 yards .

however what the tests did show was the effects of velocity at closer range . which as i stated in my first post , has a large effect on performance  especially at high velocities .
 Now one would think that closer would  equivocate to  more penetration. But that  many times is not the case  especially with soft lead .
 see what happens here is that  as the velocity increases the   lead is less  able to stay solid  or compact . When it contacts at that velocity  it easily mushrooms ? Spreads .  Again while this transfers large amounts of energy quickly , it also effect the penetration ability of the bullet.
 Now myself IMO I  believe this is why   we see so many complaints about the RB in 50 and 45 cal . Not dropping  big game  at close ranges .  The tail is in the velocity and  the stability of soft lead at that velocity .
 I think to often folks look to higher loads so as to raise the energy of a RB at  say 100 yards . Which can be a good thing at 100 yards  where the velocity has dropped and the lead became more stable .
BUT what  they don’t get is that  say with the 45 cal  shooting 100  to 120 grains of powder , the muzzle velocity is such  that its tickling the limit and in many cases exceeding  the  stability for lead . When that happens say at  35 to 50 yards  the  ball simply  is not   capable of staying completely intact . It can spread and  thus  fracture or reduce penetration.
  I think this explains why sometimes folks say :
==================================
 I don’t like the RB . I shot a  deer at 35 yards one time and  knocked it down . But it got up , ran off and I never found it .
=====================================

Now I could be wrong here as this is just my opinion but  . I think there is a great possibility that in such a case the soft lead ball  simply expanded and  transferred its energy to quickly thus  not allowing it to penetrate to a depth needed to  reach the vitals or at the very least  have the effect on the vitals that it should have been about to do rather quickly .
 Here is a link to the TC tests  if anyone is interested .
 It is IMO a very good read  and sheds some light on what im am basing my opinion on above

http://www.theoutdoorquest.com/perma-gel_ballistic_g...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:48:10 AM by Captchee »

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 11:31:10 AM »
OHHH  i forgot . on a side not here , you will find that jell will also  accuratly  depict the  closing of the wound channel on smaller round .
IE with the test we preformed it was not uncommon to see that the  once  say a 40 cal RM eneterd into the jell and penitrated rather well . the channel was effectivly closed back up behind the ball .
 just though i would mention that

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 04:46:07 PM »
if the wound channel closes up but the RB destroys the brain or spinal cord or heart(shots I usually take) the "critter" is still dead....as was said somewhere in another post-get to know YOUR gun and what you and it can do.....
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 04:59:48 PM »
Quote from: "Mitch"
if the wound channel closes up but the RB destroys the brain or spinal cord or heart(shots I usually take) the "critter" is still dead....as was said somewhere in another post-get to know YOUR gun and what you and it can do.....

yes . however i the ball  was to say  miss the mark and clip the liver or other vital organ . what you get is little to no blood trail.

the end result is stll death . that much is true

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 08:24:53 AM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
Take the leather  that blue lakes  shot into .
As I understand it , what he was trying to find out , was how well a RB penetrated the leather armor of a soldier  of that period .
 However  its important to realize that while  this leather patch  might  represent the leather armor well .
 If he hung it  or even mounted it  say to a board , his results will be off .  Not just in penetration but also  in seeing the effects of that penetration on the projectile .
 Why ? Because as I mentioned before  with steel targets . The  resistance is different which  changes the energy transfer .  
 The armor supported / backed by  say a human body is not ridged . But at the same time its not fluid like  if the leather patch was simply hung  from a target stand .

My problem with the test was I couldn't find anyone to wear the sample  ;)

Excellent information, Captchee.  I really appreciate your taking the time to explain it.

T
Member #424

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 12:52:05 PM »
It makes sense that one might want a harder bullet alloy when using a PRB on a larger target when increasing the V, and when dealing with a target where it will matter.  Meaning a zinc RB might penetrate 36" of gelatin while my all lead RB will only do 20", but if all you need is 18" to exit your game animal the point is moot..., except mine is making  bigger hole.  Now a moose, is a bit different than a whitetail...

I was told the "jury" is still out on the secondary channels produced in gelatin, for the fact that the medium is homogeneous and a wave will display well in such a medium, while animal tissues are not homogeneous and do not react as close to gelatin as some people claim.

Further, that the ballistic pressure wave theory of hydrostatic shock had been shown in some cases to work, but that was due to high speed rifle bullets. (So some sources say) Projectiles at handgun velocities, which for most of us would include the loads that we use, do not disrupt or damage tissue, though they will live impressive secondary "wound" channels in gelatin.  I have been told by several forensic pathologists to rely on the hole the actual bullet makes, both in hunting and in my job, and to worry about bullet placement.    

People like to poo-poo Wikipedia, but here is a link that shows both sides of the story, and I think has pretty good references.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock

Basically what I have gotten from reading both sides of the issue, and looking at actual wound effects, is that we have yet to find any medium that does well at telling us what a bullet will do to living tissue.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 05:03:27 PM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
Basically what I have gotten from reading both sides of the issue, and looking at actual wound effects, is that we have yet to find any medium that does well at telling us what a bullet will do to living tissue.  

Maybe a hog carcass like they use on Mythbusters?
Member #424

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 05:22:54 PM »
Here is my take on this
Three seasons ago I killed the largest weight (215#) and B&C (154 2/8) scoring, Whitetail deer of my life!! Call it luck, lucky and luckier if you will. This was done with a CVA 45 cal kentuck style caplock, range about 30 yards and perfect broadside shot.
The ball I was shooting was a mixture of 50% wheel weights and 50% pure lead, shot placement was not what I wanted, but it severed the pulmonary artery and sprayed blood out both sides for about 50 yards, full penetration but only ribs in the way
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 07:07:47 PM »
All valid points .
 Dave is also right . Normally we do not see the severe secondary wounding that one see;s in high velocity rounds .
 However at closer ranges  and higher loads we can . A 45 cal can produce that type of wounding  if the range is close and the velocity high .

As far as secondary  wounds ? I cant say I have ever not shot a deer or elk   with a center fire , that did not carry the effects of secondary wounding . In fact  most commonly I saw this effect with  190 grain 30.30  clover tips .
 IE there carried a large frontal area  of soft lead . Now my 65X55 did not show as much effect , even though  it was a much higher velocity round . IMO this was do to  less lead and more jacket . Thus the round did not expand as great on contact  and did not  transfer as much energy as quickly .
 In the tests we did , I would have to say that what Jell showed  concerning the secondary wounds was in most cases  less then what I experience in actual animals .

As to only needing 18 inches . I would agree with that . However what im getting at is that concerning soft lead  and high velocities ,  that lead contacting the target may not be structurally sound enough  to stay  together  and even give you half that .
Also , we need to remember that when every we make an alloy . That alloy has   different characteristics then soft lead . So a 50 /50 mix of soft lead and WW  could passably  stay structurally stable to a much higher velocity then pure lead by itself . I cant say , I don’t know  but it seems to me that  would be the case . So not only would the ball being harder   bleed off less of its  stored energy into the surrounding tissues  . It would then  also contain itself  more energy  to push on through .
 Either way , the primary wound channel  for the PRB is still larger then most center fire calibers produce even after expansion .  so IIMO secoundary wounding is just  a + when you see it . but not really needed  when a projectile is place in the boiler room or vital life suport systems . the result will be the same , with or without that secoundary wounding

:shake

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 12:20:37 PM »
However what im getting at is that concerning soft lead and high velocities , that lead contacting the target may not be structurally sound enough to stay together and even give you half that .
Also , we need to remember that when every we make an alloy . That alloy has different characteristics then soft lead . So a 50 /50 mix of soft lead and WW could passably stay structurally stable to a much higher velocity then pure lead by itself . I cant say , I don’t know but it seems to me that would be the case . So not only would the ball being harder bleed off less of its stored energy into the surrounding tissues .

Ah, but WHAT is "high velocity" to Mr lead bullet?  I ask as I got into a discussion with a fellow on another board, and it was never defined.  All that was maintained in that discussion was it's better to reduce your load to "medium velocity" when using an all lead projectile on large game.  One of my objections was that without a definition or some sort of standard threshold..., we have no idea what we are talking about.

I doubt that my round ball at 1500 fps is inclined to so badly mushroom that it will fail to pass through a white tail broadside, at 100 yards or less.  The idea presented to me was to reduce my load, and reduce ball deformation to get deeper penetration from less friction.  Hence the minimum needed distance to pass through a game animal comment.  

I also pointed out that we normally don't shoot deer at the muzzle, and it's the speed at impact that counts.  If you go too light on your load..., you run the risk of having an impact velocity so low you're not able to push your round ball through a deer even if the ball was made of steel.  

I was taught that modern centerfire rifles didn't do much to the surrounding tissue on a target unless the impact speed was 2000 fps - 2200 fps.  That was the minimum speed for muzzle velocity to be condsidered high velocity.  (Most ML's don't get that high for most of the loads that I have seen)  Medium velocity was from 1100 fps to the 2200 fps, and low velocity was from 1 to 1099 fps.  I have also been told that for a long time, a modern, lead, hp bullet would not reliably mushroom in tissue unless they impacted at about 1100 fps or higher.  

You are correct on the bullet alloy and not knowing how it reacts on impact.  All lead has (iirc) an SAE hardness of 1, and centerfire bullet alloys for the sport of IPSC and such have SAE hardness of 10.  I know from harvesting lead at ranges that SAE 10 does not fragment nor mushroom when impacting a gravelly berm, so would be good for the folks who worry about the metal in their round ball loads.  Those alloys are made from WW or lead and antimony.  Would Zinc fracture on impact?  How about bismuth and lead?  Who knows?  Both are brittle.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »
I've never heard of "SAE Hardness" before. I've always used the Brinell harness Number, which pure lead is 5. I know there are various hardness scales, but thats a new one to me.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 01:01:13 PM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
Those alloys are made from WW or lead and antimony.  Would Zinc fracture on impact?  How about bismuth and lead?  Who knows?  Both are brittle.
LD

Tin is also used for alloying lead; it pours very fluidly into the mold.
Member #424