Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Vent-Hole Picking????  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
Vent-Hole Picking????
« on: October 04, 2010, 01:45:16 PM »
Do you pick your vent-hole before you load, or after?

Why?

I got to thinking about this after installing a new vent-liner in my Tulle. It you pick your vent-hole before you load, your powder will be right up against you vent-hole ready for ignition. If you pick it after you load, you could create a hole in the powder charge making it (I would think) slower to ignite.

What's your take on this?
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »
Swamp,
I am sure no flint enthusiast, but as I understand it, picking after you load opens up the surface area on the powder, as you are digging a little hole into the charge.  If you do not pick after, you just have the surface area the size of the oriface in the liner.
Should be faster ignition by picking afterwards.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:15:31 PM »
I think Bigsmoke is right.  The idea behind picking is to create a bigger hole or cone with the pick to expose more granules of powder to the flash and heat wave in an attempt to ignite as many grains at once as possible. I always pick the vent hole. It may not matter but it sure seems to. At least I "think" I can tell a difference in ignition time but it may be my head playing tricks on me. I know my gun is very fast and reliable when I pick it so I always do so.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »
I believe that consistent picking (i.e. every shot) makes for more consistent ignition/lock time. I pick after...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »
When my rememberer works right, I pick after. It pushes any fouling that might have gotten in the way away from the hole.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 05:02:46 PM »
I use the vent pick after loading but part of my motivation is unusual.  

My first objective with the vent pick is to feel where the powder is.  If I can feel the powder at the outer edge of the vent then I just prime and get ready to fire.  If I feel the powder a tad back from the outer edge of the vent I prime a bit heavier and get ready to fire.  If I feel something hard or unusual with the vent pick then it becomes a tool to clear the vent after which I prime heavy and get ready to fire.  

So in summary I use my vent pick as a feeler probe unless I need it as a vent clearing tool.  

Most of the time during a relay when I dump powder into the barrel I will see smoke exiting the vent.  That indicates to me the vent is clear.  I don't swab between shots because I don't want to foul the vent.

Leo
Traditional American Craftsman

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »
I pick after  for the same reasons already posted . Picking after makes for a larger surface area to ignite.
 I also used to pick before .  Basically I would feather the touch hole prior to loading .
 Then load . Once loaded I would pull the pick .

But through the years I have just gotten where I pick after

Offline 2 Locks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.MultiLakes.com
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »
I pick after loading both to clear fouling & expose more powder as others have said.

It also saved my butt once - I picked & didn't feel the usual firm resistance of packed powder.  Upon further inspection I found that I had only short started the ball & forgotten ram it home. :oops:
Dave Leonard
Member #429 Expires 4/15/14

Offline DEADDAWG

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 01:04:24 PM »
I don't pick at all before loading. I have two flinters that I shoot on a regular basis, they are different as night and day. My rifle has to be picked after loading or the ignition is noticeably slow. My smoothy doesn't like being picked at all, If I make the mistake of picking it, the ignition is slow. Really throws me off when I have a brain fart and don't pay attention to which one I'm shooting.
TMA Member # 569   Expires: 11 Mar. 2012

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 01:52:31 PM »
The only time I pick the touch hole is when it is raining or foggy.  Then I pick after loading for much same reasons as everyone else has said.  It works for me. :lol:
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 04:21:20 PM »
I stick a copper pick in the vent and leave it there while I load, then withdraw it and prime.

Just seems to work better that way with a lot fewer FITP's.
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:42:41 PM »
I would have to go along with  most here. If it happens to be a rare day in the high desert , when the humidity is quite high , I pick before And after loading ! The reason being the vent and fire channel will cake-up and I scrape the TH to make certain the crud is loose , and pick it after loading to make sure  the channelis open to the main charge ! This is seldom a problem out here , but dos happen . I have two flinters one has the J.Manton style breech with the smaller anti chamber and the other has the TH entering just ahead of the flat face of the breech plug .Dosn't seem to effect one more than the other !
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Dphariss

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 09:56:31 AM »
If you have a good vent liner then main charge powder should be right at the pan (within .020 +-) and picking is just something to pass the time.

I have never picked a vent unless it (rarely) flashes (flintlock shooter since the 1960s). I don't even have one in the shooting pouches.
If you use a powder that produces flakes of fouling in the bore one of these can cause problems if it blocks the vent. This WILL require picking.
Historically  feathers and plugs were used to keep the powder from blowing out when the ball was rammed. This can be a very real problem with .078-.090 vents since the powder charge is different every shot.
Even a .062 vent may leak a little FFF. I this is especially true in an Easy Rider Rifle Rack on a gravel road.

Dan

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
good points Dan and welcome to the TMA forum

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 06:39:55 PM »
if it is raining or humid i'll stick a feather in the vent before loading. other than that i hardly ever pick the vent,doesnt seem to make much difference in my rifles.
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"