Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Black powder pet loads for .36 cal  (Read 744 times)

Offline eaglearms9

• TMA Forum Member
Black powder pet loads for .36 cal
« on: May 04, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »
Any pet loads for  a .36 cal .350 ball. flintlock? 35 inch barrel.
New to  this. Just got a McCoy long rifle Beauty but gotta shoot It.
Thanks

We dont call 911

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Re: Black powder pet loads for .36 cal
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:58:58 AM »
I think David32cal has one, and he is a squirrel assassin. Maybe he will see this soon and advise ya. I would start out at 30 gr fffg and go up slowly from there. Don't shoot any squirrels straight overhead unless you can move faster than burning, falling ffffg!
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »
My favorite load in my flint .36 SMR is 20 grains of JBP (3F), a .024" patch lubed with Hoppes BP lube and a home cast .350" ball.  The farthest I fired it so far is about 88 yards and it easily hits those plastic drink bottles.  I use to like 30 grains but 20 is just as accurate and even more economical.  This meaning sub-inch groups at 50 yards.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 05:55:57 PM »
I use 20gr-3fg/350-.010 in a douglas barrel for squirrels and all match shooting out to 50yds. Then, double the powder beyond that. I've taken whitetails, on depredation permits, with 40gr-3f, out to 40yds, with this load. The 36cal is a very good, Small Purpose, round!! It's not a  caliber for everyone or for john doe, but a good woodsman will live a long time with a 36 as his best friend. Good Luck, Buzzard
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline Ron T.

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 01:07:10 AM »
Here's the net address of Goex's Load Chart.  It has 4 powder loads ranging from 30 to 50 grains of FFFg giving muzzle velocities of 1460 fps to 1970 fps.

Left click on this site address.  This will take you to the Goex Load Chart Site.  When you get there, choose the "Round Ball and Musket Chart" at the top of the page and check out the suggested loads.  

Here's the Goex site address:  GOEX Load Chart

Good shooting...   :toast

Strength and Honor...

Ron T.
It's SMART to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa "stuff"...

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 02:11:14 AM »
Good reference,thanks Ron. :rt th
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ron T.

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 10:52:30 AM »
Thanks, Ridjrunr...

As you know, the Goex Load Chart is a "beginning".  We must each "work up" THE load that is most accurate in our individual rifles.  That's part of the "FUN" with muzzle-loader shooting... or ANY kind of shooting if you "hand-load" center-fire cartridges.  I.E., we all try to find "THE" bestest load for the kind of shooting we're doing.

My "target load" (47 grains of Swiss or Goex FFFg) in my older .50 caliber CVA Hawken cap-lock Rifle (28" barrel, 7½ lbs.) is considerably different that my hunting load (70 grains of Swiss FFFg) in my older .50 caliber CVA Hawken cap-lock Carbine (24" barrel, 6½ lbs.).

Oddly enough, my "Shenandoah" Pennsylvania flinter (33½" barrel) also "likes" the 47 grain load of Swiss FFFg for target shooting out to 50 yards... putting five .490" Hornaday swagged rifle balls into a somewhat enlarged, ragged single hole (off the bench, of course).  Yep... it's a "shooter" !~!~!   :idea

However, with a .36 caliber, FFFg is 'most likely "THE" powder of choice for target or hunting loads... as the Goex Load Chart points out since FFFg is the ONLY powder it gives for loads in .36 caliber rifles.

Naturally, there's more to it than what I've mentioned here, but at least, I've pointed out a "beginning".  In truth, shooting is much like playing golf... i.e., each time we got shooting or play a round of golf, we attempt to "beat" the best score WE ever "shot"... whether it's at the rifle range or on the golf course.

I.E., we are often competing with ourselves... and THAT is the "fun" of doing it.  At least, that's what it is for me.   :Doh!

Naturally, I'm mentioning this mostly to try to give eaglearms9 some ideas of what he needs to do with his new rifle.    :lt th

Strength and Honor...

Ron T.
It's SMART to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa "stuff"...

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »
With 30 grains of Goex 3F my 38" barrel gives around 1460fps.  20 grains does around 1265fps.  The first load can give sub 1" groups at 50 yards; truly excellent.  It has also taken coon & squirrel.  The 20 grain load appears to be just as accurate and more conservative of powder; and it does well up to more than 80 yards.  

Thicker patches, .024" by my measure, does fine work but so does .015" ticking.  The thicker material, along with either spit or Hoppes, keeps the bore a bit cleaner.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »
In my Pedersoli Blue Ridge caplock I used for targets, grouse, ptarmigan and red squirrels:

.350"" ball
pillow ticking patch
spit lube (sub. synthetic axle grease when shooting at below 0F temps)
25gr of 3F

3rd = Clover-leaf at 25yds.

Mario