Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Plastic container for black powder  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Swamppanther

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Active Member
  • TMA Member: TMA #801
Plastic container for black powder
« on: February 01, 2020, 11:46:25 AM »
Just reading Manual for my Indian Trade Gun (General Info from Pedersoli ) and saw this warning. . .

"Black powder SHOULD NEVER BE STORED IN A PLASTIC CONTAINER, which could build a static
electricity charge. In case, make sure they are made of anti-static material. Keep the container
away from heat sources."

The only Black Powder I got is Goex and as far as I know they got rid of the metal cans many moon ago!
I assume their "Plastic" is static proof? Any comments?

COUNT DOWN TO TURKEY SEASON HAS STARTED!!! :)

USMC Life - Siemper Fi
NRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Plastic container for black powder
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 12:08:39 PM »
Just reading Manual for my Indian Trade Gun (General Info from Pedersoli ) and saw this warning. . .

"Black powder SHOULD NEVER BE STORED IN A PLASTIC CONTAINER, which could build a static
electricity charge. In case, make sure they are made of anti-static material. Keep the container
away from heat sources."

The only Black Powder I got is Goex and as far as I know they got rid of the metal cans many moon ago!
I assume their "Plastic" is static proof? Any comments?

COUNT DOWN TO TURKEY SEASON HAS STARTED!!! :)

I also buy Goex, and I don't like the idea they switched to the plastic container - but my guess is their containers would be static proof... However, never being one to take chances on something like this - I've kept my empty Goex cans and when I have to get into a plastic Goex container I transfer all the powder to an old can.

Now, with all this said, keep your powder stored in a cool place where static electricity can't build up - 'cause you can also get static electricity off a metal can as well, if you don't.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Spotted Bull

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »
Also, modern black powder has a very thin coating on it, which prevents to some extent the static electricity from causing ignition of the actual powder. However, the static charge could very well ignite the fine dusty powder that is present.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 01:49:25 PM »
Also, modern black powder has a very thin coating on it, which prevents to some extent the static electricity from causing ignition of the actual powder. However, the static charge could very well ignite the fine dusty powder that is present.

Bull, I'm thinking that many years back, someone did a test on trying to ignite black powder with static electricity and it wouldn't ignite... I don't recall if they ever tested a fine BP dust? For some reason I'm thinking they didn't?

Spotted Bull

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 02:30:58 PM »
I don't recall any tests specifically on the dust. I've read of several instances of it happening. Most of them were pretty bad results.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 05:52:57 PM »
I've wondered in the past why BP dust wouldn't ignite, but coal dust will.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Spotted Bull

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »
BP dust will ignite, which more often than not causes the BP itself to ignite. The static won't ignite the "main charge" but the dust exploding will.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 10:01:53 PM »
 :bl th up
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 06:05:05 AM »
Life is DANGEROUS!

Beer will kill ya....if ya drink enough of it! :Doh! :*:
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 07:02:20 AM »
I read yesterday where it's claimed it takes 800+ degrees to ignite black powder and a static electricity charge comes nowhere near that...

Bottom line,,, been handling black powder for over 40+ years and have never had an incident... Like all of us here, I attribute that to respecting what we're handling.  :shake

Offline Meanwhile

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 10:18:42 PM »
So a question, as I ram and seat a prb in a rifle I've wondered if powder could go off from tamping with the ramrod. 

Has it ever happened?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Spotted Bull

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 11:37:36 PM »
as a class explosive, the black powder need some type of ignition source, like the fulminate of mercury going off, or the spark from a flintlock. As far as my research has told me, I've never heard of a BP rifle going off from compacting the powder with a ram rod.

The only ignition I have seen, personally, from such an action was when a spark was still present in the barrel and the powder being poured down the barrel ignited and caused the shooter some degree of pain and agony. His measure had the attached funnel which he left in the barrel. As he reached for it, the charge ignited and the measure took his little finger off.

Offline Meanwhile

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 11:40:29 PM »
Ouch.

I routinely run a dry patch before my next shot and am probably being overly cautious, until I heard that story!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Spotted Bull

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 11:47:27 PM »
It's a good, safe practice. And one I use every time. I know I'm not going to get it clean with one wipe, but bbn it will keep me from blowing up.

I never understood why someone would put the rifle in their mouth and blow down the barrel. Same principle there...unburned powder in the barrel meets a hot spark AND you are adding oxygen to the flame. I'm ugly enough with all of my face, I don't need to lose any!

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 02:54:01 AM »
It's a good, safe practice. And one I use every time. I know I'm not going to get it clean with one wipe, but bbn it will keep me from blowing up.

I never understood why someone would put the rifle in their mouth and blow down the barrel. Same principle there...unburned powder in the barrel meets a hot spark AND you are adding oxygen to the flame. I'm ugly enough with all of my face, I don't need to lose any!

The quickest explanation I can give you is,.... it was a traditionally accepted practice for hundreds of years, and for some of us it still is.  :) :bl th up

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6