Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Hatfield Rifle  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Renegade

• TMA Forum Member
Hatfield Rifle
« on: December 03, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm looking at a hatfield rifle at a local gun shop. He has written on the tag  Hatfield 50 cal. squirrel rifle, (must be for deer size squirrels). It looks like a pedersoli made gun. He's asking 699.00 for it, seems a little High to me but I really don't know. Does anybody have any input on these guns or how much they go for brand new?
      Thanks in advance for all your help
All Tyranny needs to gain a foot hold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
  Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
Well, Ted Hatfield has been out of business for at least 10 years, so there isn't any relative measure for what current new price is.  I think they were a little less than that back then.  They are indeed a Pedersoli gun.  Compare to the Cabela's Blue Ridge rifle, about the same thing.
I had one and shot it a bit probably 20 years ago, and it was pretty good shooter.
I'd say there should be some bargaining room in that price, especially if it is used.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 07:24:26 PM »
if it says pedersoli , made in italy . its not one of ted hatfeilds .
 pedersoli markets them under the names Blue Ridge , kentucky  and hatfeild  depending on what Sub made them .
 600 seems to me to be to much .
 i know some folks her like them and have had good luck with them. but myself  ahhhhhhh no

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home
  • TMA Member: 321
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 07:26:05 PM »
They had three version.The first one made by Mr.Hatfield was a good shooter.Don't know much about the second version but the third version was made over in Italy not a good shooter.I have seen both version guns the first version price $400-500 and the Italy one $300.
Idaho North TMA State Representative

http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 07:32:58 PM »
If I am not mistaken, Hatfield imported the pieces and parts from Pedersoli and assembled them in St. Joe, MO.  He did have a pretty neat old building there.  Got a tour once from Ted.  Nice place, I think it was on the historical register.
Pedersoli parts will interchange, I think.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home
  • TMA Member: 321
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »
It came with two locks caplock- flinter the first version had rust brown finish on barrel third had a blue finish on barrel.I miss out on a first version like new $400 I cry all the way home that day
Idaho North TMA State Representative

http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »
I had a Hatfield many years ago. It was a fine rifle. I wish that I still had it and several other rifles I traded away!
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline Renegade

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 10:51:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for all your help, much appreciated. I want the rifle,.  but I think he's way too high on the price. I can buy a new cabelas blue ridge rifle for around 500.00. I may just do that. :rt th
All Tyranny needs to gain a foot hold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Renegade

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 10:51:51 AM »
Thanks everyone for all your help, much appreciated. I want the rifle, but I think he's way too high on the price. I can buy a new cabelas blue ridge rifle for around 500.00. I may just do that. :rt th
  Thomas Jefferson

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 03:13:30 PM »
What kind of stock does the Hatfield have? Is it a flamed maple stock?

Offline Renegade

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 06:44:09 PM »
Quote from: "wwpete52"
What kind of stock does the Hatfield have? Is it a flamed maple stock?

No, It's a dark color. Is the curly maple the original hatfield? I have  seen those.
  Thomas Jefferson

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 08:06:40 PM »
All of the Hatfields that I have seen had curley maple stocks. I know that the most common Pedersoli has a walnut stock. Pedersoli does make the same rifle with a premium maple stock but it costs more. I think all of the Cabela Pedersoli Frontier rifles have a walnut stock but I might be wrong.
If you have a chance, take another look at the Hatfield. If it has a maple stock you might want to make the guy an offer.  Start low and see if he will take it or counter.  It's your money so make a low offer. Most regular gun shops hate muzzleloaders so start low. He might take it!
I believe that the Hatfield will bring more money than the Cabela if you ever want to sell it.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 09:09:25 PM »
In years past, I've had both,.... the Hatfields, and the Pedersoli Blue Ridges.

Some parts will interchange on the 2 rifles,...

The Hatfield used Pedersoli locks after a certain serial #, which were better (IMHO) than the original Hatfield locks.

The Hatfield barrels were about 1/2" longer than the Pedersoli Blue Ridge's.

And the Hatfields used Curly Maple wood,... verses,... Pedersoli Blue Ridge which uses European walnut.

The butt-plates won't interchange between the two types of rifles,... and neither will the triggerguards.

Those are the major differences between the 2 rifles that I can recall (just off the top of my head).

IMO, the Hatfield should be worth a little more money then a Blue Ridge, mainly because of the quality of it's wood.

HTH
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Renegade

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 06:11:36 PM »
Quote from: "wwpete52"
All of the Hatfields that I have seen had curley maple stocks. I know that the most common Pedersoli has a walnut stock. Pedersoli does make the same rifle with a premium maple stock but it costs more. I think all of the Cabela Pedersoli Frontier rifles have a walnut stock but I might be wrong.
If you have a chance, take another look at the Hatfield. If it has a maple stock you might want to make the guy an offer.  Start low and see if he will take it or counter.  It's your money so make a low offer. Most regular gun shops hate muzzleloaders so start low. He might take it!
I believe that the Hatfield will bring more money than the Cabela if you ever want to sell it.

Thanks for your advise wwpete2. I will go in low and see what happens. I'll let ya know how I make out. :bl th up
  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Renegade

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
In years past, I've had both,.... the Hatfields, and the Pedersoli Blue Ridges.

Some parts will interchange on the 2 rifles,...

The Hatfield used Pedersoli locks after a certain serial #, which were better (IMHO) than the original Hatfield locks.

The Hatfield barrels were about 1/2" longer than the Pedersoli Blue Ridge's.

And the Hatfields used Curly Maple wood,... verses,... Pedersoli Blue Ridge which uses European walnut.

The butt-plates won't interchange between the two types of rifles,... and neither will the triggerguards.

Those are the major differences between the 2 rifles that I can recall (just off the top of my head).

IMO, the Hatfield should be worth a little more money then a Blue Ridge, mainly because of the quality of it's wood.

HTH

Thanks for the INFO. rollinb. :lt th
  Thomas Jefferson