Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: I've always chickened out...  (Read 680 times)

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
I've always chickened out...
« on: August 07, 2009, 08:08:28 PM »
...and although I'm reluctant to say that I'm over the hill, I can clearly see the summit from here. Time is a issue, and I've yet to build a gun.

Now I'm not lacking in native ability or intellegence--although there has been some debate on that latter point. I'm retired from a career in education, and have had another couple of endeavors that have intruded on that line of work for periods from time to time. I've been a cabinetmaker, a shipwright (wooden), and a fine furniture maker. But I've never built a gun.

There's one that calls to me through my genetics, I fear. A quarter of my genes come from the Berner Oberland in Switzerland. I've traveled there on a few occasions, and the times when I've found "jaegers" in museums and collections, I'm stopped in my tracks, and my companions finally have to drag me away. Seems I ought to have one, and want to build a "common" one myself. But I've never been able to get started building a gun.

What I know for sure is that it needs to be .62 cal (or bigger!), fairly plain, walnut stocked, mountings to be determined--brass? iron?--and with a wooden patchbox. Am I nuts? Probably. Can I do this without making a dog's lunch of it?

So where to start? Can anyone recommend a supplier or builder who can provide me a kit that is one that a virgin gunbuilder can have a decent crack at finishing? I've probably looked at about everything on the web, but know enough to know that a kit is not always a kit. So who's got advice? Where to go? TVM? Pecatonica? Track? Who, pray tell? And is there a better route to use to enter this enterprise--some type of gun--flint, of course--that's a better introduction?

Where to start? I know you have answers...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:30:05 PM »
Have you looked at this one?

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(5dhbsm ... 5552mtow55))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=13&subId=77&styleId=301&partNum=JAEGER-RIFLE-FLINT-PARTS-LIST

Mario

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:47:06 PM »
I have. In fact, their catalog claims it's a pleasant project--not too difficult. I need to know from those as has used various folks' "kits." How to choose?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Buffler Razz

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »
I built the Chambers Mark Silver Virginia rifle, which is offered in 62 cal. Mine is a 58. It was my first build and real joy to work on and shoot, hunt with. Jim and Barbie were great to deal with and answered all of my questions, before the buy and during my build. PLUS, the help here was the icing on the cake.

I'm no cabinet maker, but have made a few bows and done a bunch of gun refinishing. There were a few anxious moments as I was ready to drill for the lock and tang bolts. But, taking my time and thinking things through paid off. The only problem was, building one leads to wanting to build another. I have a fowler kit on my workbench now. Progress is going slow due to work commitments, but then again, I'm in no hurry.

Take the plunge, you will enjoy it. My last recommendation is to buy and read thru The Gunsmith of Grenville County. I kept mine at the work bench and referenced it a number of times. Well worth the investment.

Enjoy!
Razz
Buffler Razz
aka Ron Razzolini
TMA Member 348
THE TMA "NEEDS" YOU!...JOIN TODAY