Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Please help: finished rusting the barrel now what?  (Read 661 times)

Offline pintail_drake2004

• TMA Forum Member
Please help: finished rusting the barrel now what?
« on: August 08, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »
Hello gents, i have a quick question. I just finished rusting my barrel and was wondering what oil i should use on it? Will the regular gun oil i use on my other firearms work? or do i need something special?
thank you
Pintail

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 02:12:52 PM »
I've heard linseed oil, but when I used it, I didn't like the gummy residue after it dried. The last one I did, I just used my normal gun oil. Seems to be OK.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 03:00:42 PM »
just go out and use you  10 40 engine oil , 90 wieght also works well..  soak it good and let it set  over night . then wipe her down  ;)
 after that you can use what ever you like , but you want enough oil  so as to soak in real good
 no need to waste you good gun oil on it just yet

no need to seal , or add anything else

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 08:08:15 PM »
steve is right . if you used a salution to  stimulate the rust , then you must  nutralize it .
 HOWEVER  natural rust , done in a sweet box does not need  to be nutralized becouse no acids are in volved .  simply H2O   mixing with irons in the steel .

another thing to remeber is engine olis have rust inhbitors  this is why you use alot of oil , then  let it set .

but again , if you used a salution like Lorul mountian or plum brown , then you need to nutralize . if you did not , no worries  just wash it down with alittle baking soad and water . then re oil and  wipe  ;)

Offline pintail_drake2004

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 10:22:21 PM »
the bottle of chemical said to brush with steel wool, wash with soapy water, and oil is that good enough? It came from Pecatonica (true brown) i think.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 10:33:39 PM »
i would wash it with  a mix of  baking soda and  water to be safe , then oil .
 if you use motor oil and  but on a heavy coat , you sheed not see any ne rust come morning . if you do wash again and re coat with oil .
 if you  dont see any lighter colored rust , then it will be fine