Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Pistol make over ?  (Read 659 times)

Offline Rick Villerot

• TMA Forum Member
Pistol make over ?
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:26:39 PM »
I have a .45 cal octogon barreled percussion kentucky pistol, it was given to me my my uncle.

The inside of the barrel is pitted, but the out side is in great shape.

I would like to have the barrel bored out to maybe if possible .62 & smooth. Would that be possible ? ? ?

I also found a replacement flintlock that would fit the gun, I would like to remove the percussion drum & put a touch hole liner in, making it a flinter.

Does this sound like more work than what it would be worth, it would save me some cash & would put some life into an old gun that just sat around on a book case.

Thanks -Rick V.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:33:38 PM »
What does the outside of the barrel measure across the flats?, being a 45 it's probably 7/8", getting to 62 from there will leave the barrel wall a might thin. you may be able to rebarrel that 45 for a lot less than boring it out and still be able to put her back to use, have you shot the gun? just because a barrel is pitted a bit does not mean it does not shoot well, one of the best tack driving rifles I've had came to me with a pitted barrel, wasn't pretty but she could hold her own in a match
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:22:55 PM »
As Beav. said if its not pitted so bad as to be totally wothless as a shooter gie it a trial.  You didn't say who the maker/seller was , FWW cains outdoor has a traditions flint in .45cal fir $149.00 . I'd clean up the bore and give it a chance . You also have to take into consideration the sight dovetails  when thinking of a rebore ?
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Dphariss

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Pistol make over ?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 01:13:59 AM »
Quote from: "Rick Villerot"
I have a .45 cal octogon barreled percussion kentucky pistol, it was given to me my my uncle.

The inside of the barrel is pitted, but the out side is in great shape.

I would like to have the barrel bored out to maybe if possible .62 & smooth. Would that be possible ? ? ?

I also found a replacement flintlock that would fit the gun, I would like to remove the percussion drum & put a touch hole liner in, making it a flinter.

Does this sound like more work than what it would be worth, it would save me some cash & would put some life into an old gun that just sat around on a book case.

Thanks -Rick V.

You need to be sure you have enough wall thickness for the drum/liner if you have it reamed. If its 7/8" I would not exceed 50 caliber.
Dan

Offline PistolPete

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:53:43 PM »
Quote from: "BEAVERMAN"
.....just because a barrel is pitted a bit does not mean it does not shoot well....

I absolutely agree. I have a very pitted 12 ga cheap 'barn gun', and it groups as tight as a gnat's butt.

Try it before you work on it.