Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: RUSTY PATCHES  (Read 739 times)

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
RUSTY PATCHES
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »
After a good cleaning and lube job, why is it when you go to shoot  the next time and run a patch to clean out the oil do you get a rusty patch. I`ve tried Olive Oil, Bore Butter and now have some Bear Grease i`m trying.  :shock:

Burch
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »
How dry was the barrel after cleaning? I use W-D40 after cleaning,then dry patches,then a greasy lube. W-D 40: Water displacing
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »
I do the same as Pathfinder, but with Birchwood Casey's "Barricade". It's worked great for me.

Key is "Water Displacing"!
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:30:46 PM »
After I cleaned it this time I used a couple soaked patches with Denatured Alcohol and follwed up with dry patches then Bear grease.  I`ve heard the alcohol will also displace water but if that`s not true i`ll use the WD-40 from now on.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:19:11 PM »
Are you sure that's rust and not some leftover fouling that the previous oiling has loosened up?
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline 2 Locks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.MultiLakes.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »
I'm no chemist, but I believe alcohol is a water based compound.  So it would seem to me that you are merely diluting your alcohol with any water left in the barrel.  And for that matter your alcohol better be 200 proof (100%) or after the alcohol evaporates you will be left with... water.

I believe that WD-40 displaces water, but to where?  Not to the patch if it is soaked with WD.  I think your just pushing the water around.

For me I find the best results are to spend a little extra time at the end of a cleaning to run more dry patches & make sure the barrel is dry. I then finish off with some Rem-Oil.  I never see rust when wiping the oil out before I shoot.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:20:29 PM by 2 Locks »
Dave Leonard
Member #429 Expires 4/15/14

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »
Quote from: "Hank in WV"
Are you sure that's rust and not some leftover fouling that the previous oiling has loosened up?

nope. i`m not sure. It just looks like rust.

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »
Quote from: "2 Locks"
I'm no chemist, but I believe alcohol is a water based compound.  So it would seem to me that you are merely diluting your alcohol with any water left in the barrel.  And for that matter your alcohol better be 200 proof (100%) or after the alcohol evaporates you will be left with... water.

I believe that WD-40 displaces water, but to where?  Not to the patch if it soaked with WD.  I think your just pushing the water around.

For me I find the best results are to spend a little extra time at the end of a cleaning to run more dry patches & make sure the barrel is dry. I then finish off with some Rem-Oil.  I never see rust when wiping the oil out before I shoot.

isn`t Rem-oil petrolium based ?

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
That is pretty common with bore butter... It isn't really rust, I don't think... just discoloration (in my experience - may be different than what you are experiencing)

Been using Ballistol lately. No matter how clean you get your gun, run a Ballistol patch through and it seems it will draw more dirt/fouling out of the bore.
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 06:01:30 PM »
Quote from: "Riley/MN"
That is pretty common with bore butter... It isn't really rust, I don't think... just discoloration (in my experience - may be different than what you are experiencing)

Been using Ballistol lately. No matter how clean you get your gun, run a Ballistol patch through and it seems it will draw more dirt/fouling out of the bore.

I`ve seen this rusty looking stuff using Bore Butter, Olive Oil etc. It usually happens an hour or two after you clean and lube. Maybe it is just discoloration but after you run a dry patch shouldn`t  it be a yellow tint with bore butter and maybe a green tint with the olive oil. In either case i`ll bet it`s either rust or fowling and neither is a good thing. Their`s gotta be a solutuion to clean the bore and get everything out of it.

Offline 2 Locks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.MultiLakes.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 09:18:25 PM »
Quote from: "burch"
isn`t Rem-oil petrolium based ?

Yes, Rem-Oil is petroleum based.  That's not necessarily bad.
Check out this thread:
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso ... hp?t=11571
(I think RM, Captchee and RussB all make some good points)
It's also a topic that has many different opinions, so I'm not sayin my way is the right way, but it is what works best for me.
Dave Leonard
Member #429 Expires 4/15/14