Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Teslong Borescope  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
Teslong Borescope
« on: November 27, 2019, 08:54:44 PM »
Any of you fellas that aren’t “To” Traditional  :) And would like a Way of Looking Down the Bore of your Muzzleloader in VIVID Detail, This Teslong Bore Scope is the Cats Meow! Talk about CRYSTAL Clear, This thing allows you to See things that might Scare ya, in fact I just about GUARANTEE would Scare ya  :)

My Review of the Teslong Professional Borescope, this thing is NEAT!!  :bl th up

And some stil Pics i took with it

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Teslong Borescope
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:16:27 PM »
Wow, good clarity for sure, Lewis...  :bl th up

I'd almost bet if you looked at random muzzle loaders with anti-chambers - most would look like what you posted... I'm not saying this is intentional on the owner's end, it's just an area that many (I believe) think they've got that bore all good and factory clean, but actually they don't... Just one of those things.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 02:28:47 PM »
Nice find, Lewis.  :bl th up

Definitely an improvement over the one I've been using. The picture clarity appears about the same, but this appears to have a smaller diameter  :o and mirrors that will fit in the barrel as well. It would let me look in all my under .30 caliber stuff, .223, .22, .270, .244, that I can't do now.

FYI, I see the NTG100W for $75 and the NTG100 (non-wireless) for $50 on Amazon.
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 05:53:58 PM »
Unfortunately, most of my barrels are 44".
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 06:17:45 PM »
Another not so traditional use of a PC Endoscope.

The following are pictures from a T/C Rifle barrel.
I loaned this rifle to a friend here in town about 10 or 12 years back. In fact, we hunted together that year and he actually took a nice little 2 point Muley up in the Clockum Mountains with this gun.
After the hunt, he took the gun home to clean it up good, and he mentioned buying the gun from me since he had shot it a good deal at the range before going on the hunt and he felt it was very accurate.... which was all good at the time.
A couple of months later, not long after Christmas of that year, he brought the gun back.
He told me he had gotten his rod stuck in the barrel and had "one-heck'of a time" getting it out, and he also told me thar he had decided to wait a bit before buying that gun, or any gun,  since Christmas had been unusually tough on the family....fine, I understand those things.

Not long after that in the early spring, another guy was interested in the same gun, so we both went to the range to shoot a bit.
He tried to shoot the gun several times and it would not fire. I tried several times, and it may have fired 4 or maybe 5 times out of a dozen, or more tries.
I cleared the powder and ball from that gun several times, replaced two nipples, did everything I could think of but it just would not fire....
Back home, I dropped a bore light down it (Light from fishing bobber) and couldn't see anything, so I changed out the old .50  barrel, a 15/16"  for a .45 in 15/16, that I had sitting around and I eventually sold the rifle.

Fast forward several years after that, long after I had forgotten all about that old .50 cal barrel, up until the day I broke a case of my wife's canning jars, then while cleaning up my broken mess I found that old barrel, which had been pushed off the bench, and was lying flat on the floor up against the wall.
I dug it out, wiped it down good, and decided to have a look-see down that barrel, just for grins and giggles, now that I have that new-fangled endoscope....I've had this "scope" for about 4 years now, but I seldom use it.

After looking, and after digging out a bunch of little pieces out of the barrel with a long piece of fence wire, using a very tiny patch with 3in1 oil, I remembered Scott telling me he had gotten a rod stuck...but he didn't tell me it was a brass brush that he had gotten stuck down there..

Here is what I was seeing....after I got a lot of these little micro-fine pieces of brass looking stuff out, some of which were black,  likely from the heat of popping so many caps on 'em.

This 1st picture is a part/shred of the twisted metal that holds the brass brush in place...you see that shinny metal every time you use a brass brush, a tiny part of it was actually hung-up in the flash hole, because I could not get my vent pick through the flash hole, at first.
https://i.imgur.com/SyZQAvz.png[/img]]

The next picture is the rough cut breech when the Ante Chamber / breachplug was added...I have seen this "angled cut before, but has always been smoothed out....this cut is ragged and rough enough to have possibly been chipped, or broken before the breach was installed on the barrel....I don't know, but it is really hard to believe any quality control whatsoever was ever applied here....and, this is one breach plug I could not pull...for the life of me.
https://i.imgur.com/iyNk2cM.png[/img]]

The last picture is my vent pick pushed well in through the cleanout hole, which can be seen in the above picture also.
The old barrel now plows dirt, grass, and snow when I pop caps through the old thing....she should shoot again, IMHO.
https://i.imgur.com/9BhzJL5.jpg[/img]]

Hank and I had had a short private discussion on these pictures a few days ago, like me, he simply could not believe that barrel ever made it out of the shop.
I think the old barrel will be fine as long as I never try to put anything other than a wipping cloths, and a breach scraper down the barrel...I hate to cut it up or throw it away because it's such a low serial number.

FWIW; I think by now we all realize that Thompson Center sub-contracted "a lot" of their work back in the early days.

And I personally believe it would be wrong to paint T/C with a broad brush, saying all their barrels were little more than trash because that is not true.
Back in the 1960's when Warren Center hooked up with the Thompson Tool Company they struggled to make ends meet. That struggle continued until Warren Center came up with a muzzleloader that resembled the Hawken Rifle. Then in the early 1970's sales began to soar, demand was outpacing production so they needed a little help, they got caught back up by hiring sub-contractors to make parts...The K.W.Thompson Tool Company had to buy, and even design new machinery in order to produce all their own in-house work, but they did get caught up within a few short years. However the cost of doing everything in-house was staggering, their bills were huge, but they did it in less than 6 years and started once again to make a profit.
They also started offering better wood for their stocks, they made several different models, and it was all being done in-house.
Their complete and total History, insofar as who made what during what years were all lost in a fire back in the mid 1990s.
There has been a lot of rumors, and many untruths told about who made what when, but they built a legacy, a legacy I am thankful for, because the rest of this story is history.
T/C was a major factor, if not the major factor, in establishing the popularity of the muzzleloader with the more common folk, just before and even years after the Bicentennial.
Many of their guns are just as good today as they were when purchased, my own small collection is proof of that.

Anyway, sorry the post is so long, but there are a few things that require just a bit more talkin than others.

Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Spotted Bull

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 09:10:55 PM »
Ya know, Uncle Russ, your long posts are usually the best ones to read. I almost always learn something. And that applies to the rest of your learned colleagues. I always make sure I pay attention to the long posts.

Now I've got to get myself one of those cameras.

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 08:25:28 AM »
Ditto on what Bull said and Ditto for me getting a camera, too.
Thanks, Uncle Russ!
 :bl th up :bl th up :bl th up
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
Excellent Post Uncle Russ!! enjoyed EVERY second of it  :bl th up I am a HUGE TC Fan, the Renegade and Hawken are my ABSOLUTE Favorite Muzzleloaders, The Set trigger Model Renegade (i am not a fan of the single trigger) I shoot them to Distances unimaginable to Many (With After market Barrels) But i have also done REALLY well with a Few of their Stock 1:48 Twist Barrels. The QLA Muzzle they Came up with was a BAD IDEA in my opinion, i wouldn’t have another one of those if it were Free. The Hawken and Renegade Stocks are my “GO TO” For Putting an Accurate Muzzleloader together. I personally feel NOTHING is better, it saddens me to think they will never be made again. I guess that’s why i have a 64 Gun Safe packed to Rafters with them  :)
“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 06:51:13 PM »
Spent the last 2 days borescoping then cleaning then re-borescoping every firearm I  own. The teslong borescope  is a GREAT  investment. Thanks for the recommendation ,  Lewis  :bl th up :bl th up :bl th up
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 10:14:30 AM »
Any of you fellas that aren’t “To” Traditional  :) And would like a Way of Looking Down the Bore of your Muzzleloader in VIVID Detail, This Teslong Bore Scope is the Cats Meow! Talk about CRYSTAL Clear, This thing allows you to See things that might Scare ya, in fact I just about GUARANTEE would Scare ya  :)

I received a Green Mountain . 32 cal Hawken yesterday. I   bought it on Gunbroker  from a dealer who said it was part of an Estate  sale. Of course , I  had to use my new Teslong  borescope  on it. The bore looked perfect at first, when I  was 3/4 of the way down I  saw a brown spot at the bottom. Damn! RUST! I  went down and focused on it and got shocking view of a dead baby cockroach. So Idaholewis  AND the seller were both right. You'll  have scares with the Teslong  and the rifle had definitely  been in an estate for awhile. Unfortunately ,  I   didn't  think to take a picture so I  could scare you all also.

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »

I received a Green Mountain . 32 cal Hawken yesterday. I   bought it on Gunbroker  from a dealer who said it was part of an Estate  sale. Of course , I  had to use my new Teslong  borescope  on it. The bore looked perfect at first, when I  was 3/4 of the way down I  saw a brown spot at the bottom. Damn! RUST! I  went down and focused on it and got shocking view of a dead baby cockroach. So Idaholewis  AND the seller were both right. You'll  have scares with the Teslong  and the rifle had definitely  been in an estate for awhile. Unfortunately ,  I   didn't  think to take a picture so I  could scare you all also.

I seen that Rifle on Gunbroker!! I nearly bid on it, but refrained. This Teslong Borescope is TRULY AMAZING!!

Here is My latest adventure with it, I call it Surgery with a Borescope 👍

Before i loaded my Navy Arms .58 Cal up for tomorrow’s Test Shoot I decided to go down the Bore with my new Teslong BoreScope and have a look around? The 3 Groove Bore is like a Mirror :lewis: I then entered the Patent Breech, Once in there I noticed a Burr at the Entrance of the Fire Channel (Short Channel that runs Straight Across, and under the Nipple). I decided to Perform a Surgical procedure and Remove it, or at least attempt to.

Here is the Burr, VERY Visible! This was obviously left behind in the Manufacturing Process of the Breech Plug when they Drilled across to enter the Powder Chamber, They missed removing this Burr (I have seen this SEVERAL times! This is a MAJOR Cause of Hangfires, The ones that start to Happen after a Few FLAWLESS Shots, and leave you Wondering what the Heck?? What is happening is After the First few Shots Fouling begins to Collect here at this Burr until it Closes off this Fire Channel. REMEMBER ME TALKING ABOUT POINTING THE BARREL DOWN, AND POPPING 1 CAP OFF STRAIGHT THROUGH THE BORE AFTER I SWAB? By popping that Cap off, The Concussion of it going off BREAKS This Fouling loose that is Accumulating here, You will see it Trickle out on the Ground. Now when you Dump your Powder Charge in, The powder can Flow freely Through the Fire Channel again and Collect under the Nipple, READY TO FIRE AGAIN

I removed this “Clean Out” Screw on the Side, Test fitted Drill Bits BY HAND ONLY until i found the Bit that fit this Hole PERFECTLY, that bit turned out to be a 5/32 in this Case

Here you can see the Tip of the Drill Bit starting to Enter Powder Chamber

And here we are IN like FLYNN ;)

After some turning By HAND ONLY, I went back in to have a Peek Around? I GOT IT :lewis: Here you can See the Burr, Metal Chip laying in The Powder Chamber, along with several other little Flakes n Chips From that Burr, I chose to Focus on the Largest piece. This Teslong Borescope is AMAZING!!

And here it is ALL CLEANED UP, A slight polish Job. Burr is LONG GONE Now! The Camera is at a different Angle here, actually the Rifle is Turned up, but you can Clearly see it. I find this Borescope SUPER EASY to use, But when you try and Document the process like i did here with Pictures etc. There are To many things going on :)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 06:48:22 PM »
Wow, heck of a find, Lewis... And good job cleaning that burr out. :bl th up

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 06:58:43 PM »
Nessmuk, I bet finding the dead cockroach in the bore of that estate rifle was a bit of a shock... One Spring before our first shoot of the Spring where I live, I got my rifle out and was readying it - swabbing the bore here at home with a dry patch - and I noticed there was hardly a jet of air coming out of the nipple... I shined a lite down in the bore and really didn't see anything - then I decided to pull the nipple out'a the drum and take a look, and then pull the clean out screw from the drum... At first I thought it was some cotton from a q-tip that might of been from my last cleaning before storing the rifle for the Winter... Turned out it was a small spider nest... Last thing I would have ever expected... Wasn't much left of it except some legs and mushed body, but it had me clogged... The little mess ran right out the drum hole into the barrel breech.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 10:27:42 PM »
Seems every year just around late fall/early winter I have to check all my barrels for these darn ladybug type bugs that come in the house to live for the winter. Can be a big pain although they're not as bad this year.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell