Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What is the purpose of a side plate?  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
What is the purpose of a side plate?
« on: December 25, 2019, 03:05:49 PM »

I have recently learned that some guns, like "barn guns" for example, do not have a sideplate.  Why not?
What is the purpose of a side plate?    Does it have a function?

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: What is the purpose of a side plate?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »
it's mostly about form and aesthetics than function.  there is no real pressing need for a lock side plate.  one bushed machine screw will suffice quite nicely, and has done so for centuries.

is there a need for a patch box?  a butt plate?  a muzzle cap?  an entry rod pipe?  nay.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »
I agree with what Rob posted...

Sometimes I'll use a side plate, and other times I just use beveled brass or silver washers... My reasoning has always been that when the lock screw(s) are inserted through the wood & into the lock plate - I cut off any of the excess screw that comes through the plate / off flesh with the plate. 

In this way you know when removing and re'installing the lock that when that screw is flesh with the plate, you haven't over tightened the lock screw(s) which makes the "lock plate or washer(s)" a nice reference,,, and there's no worry of over-tightening the lock...

That's always been my reasoning... Otherwise if you start over tightening the lock screw(s). well you might start ballooning the wood where that screw head rests... The side plate and washers, I have found to be good reference points...  :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 05:55:51 PM »
Its' basically a decorative washer.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 07:29:38 PM »
None of my rifles or pistols have side plates, does  that means they're  "Barn Guns"? What makes a "Barn Gun" a "Barn Gun"?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 09:38:58 PM »
None of my rifles or pistols have side plates, does  that means they're  "Barn Guns"? What makes a "Barn Gun" a "Barn Gun"?

I was reading over on ALR many years back that the folks over there referred to a barn gun - simply as a gun that was kept in the barn, and it was in no way shape or form - fancy,,, but was simply there if you needed it to say, shoot a varmint - I reckon 4 or 2 legged.

Now whether or not this is factual, I don't know?

Seems to me that if I thought I was going to need a gun in the barn, I'd bring one with me from the house...

It could also be that some guns where found in barns, so they called them "barn guns" - and why they were there, well I expect only the owner of the barn could of told a person that.  :shake

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 07:59:55 AM »
Its' basically a decorative washer.

Quite right Hank... My brain could not come up with the proper name last night of those washers, and I've used them a bunch... :Doh! Thank you!  :hairy

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »
Thank you for replying, folks.  I learned something: Side plates can be helpful but, they are not necessary. 

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 08:29:48 PM »
I would imagine they added some structural strength to the side panel, especially on the more slender guns.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 08:35:16 PM »
I would imagine they added some structural strength to the side panel, especially on the more slender guns.

not much if any.  not really needed in that area of the stock considering the tang bolt and the amount of wood there as compared to the barrel channel where it can get wafer thin.  with the aesthetics of really slim stock wrists behind the tang bolt and before the stock comb in vogue on lots of those 18th century long guns, that's an area of the wood that seems to get lots of break repairs.

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 11:16:23 AM »

IMHO = it is simply a gun (a long gun(?)) kept in the "barn". Why, perhaps, as already said = to shoot varmints. ( on our rural property, the man who maintained the prop, kept a simple bolt action .22 in the barn for that reason.He had enough to carry (from his abode) w/o packing a long arm

It seems that they were inexpensive models made by gunsmiths & could be "rifles" or "smooth bores" (imo the smoothies out #d the rifles.  { other names for them (??) - poor  boys, shmmers, ???}

TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 04:53:52 PM »
So my takeaway is a side plate is an aesthetic  addition to a fancy gun (for more engravings, perhaps ) and a "Barn" gun is disparaging  term for a cheap or worn-out  gun.
Learning everyday,  ;)
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »
my take on the "barn gun" moniker is for a simple, durable, working man's long gun.  perhaps "cheap" in terms of little to no embellishments, but not lacking in quality of service.

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 05:44:04 PM »
 :toast :shake
my take on the "barn gun" moniker is for a simple, durable, working man's long gun.  perhaps "cheap" in terms of little to no embellishments, but not lacking in quality of service.
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Einsiedler

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 09:14:29 AM »
My opd muzzleloading mentor begain collecting all kinds of guns during the depression. His father was a county judge in the Texas Red river valley. On Weekends they would drive backroads looking for guns. They would stop at farms and ask about old guns. Invariably they were directed to the chicken house where "granny" had a gun of some sort on nails over the door. It’s purpose was for the elimination of chicken hawks and other pesky vermin.

He went on to say that generally they found many shotguns in this manner.  But there was the occasional rifle,,,,, and wait for it, muzzleloader!  Which was there most prized prey!