Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

TC Patented Breech/Fire Channel View

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bigsmoke:
Thanks for your post.  I am sure it explained what a T/C breech looks like to someone who has never had one apart.  T/C used to sell breech plug wrenches so a person could take them apart, but for some unknown reason or another, quit selling them.  I never personally felt the need to unbreech one, but I am sure there are many who did.

Another way of cleaning out the patent breech of a T/C is to use a .36 caliber bore brush on the ramrod.  That will get into that passage pretty good.

Enjoyed your post on the 325 yard shooting.  I bet hauling that clanger up and down the hill worked up a bit of a glow.

Where abouts are you located up there?

John

Idaholewis:

--- Quote from: bigsmoke on September 21, 2019, 06:54:01 PM ---Where abouts are you located up there?

John

--- End quote ---

I live in Priest River, Are you Cda? I was just down there today, I walked around Blacksheep Sporting goods while the Wife was over at Costco, I have her let me off on the way by  :)

I do business with October Country, But Mostly Buffalo Arms. I am in BACO so often that it’s a 2nd Home to me  :bl th up

Ohio Joe:
With my TC Hawken, I always try to work a pipe cleaner in through the nipple hole, then use my small air compressor to blow out the barrel with my hand cupped over the muzzle with the nozzle in the bore - then run another pipe cleaner to make sure all is dried out... Never had an issue with the ol' TC Hawken. 

Bigsmoke:
Louis,
Nope not CdA any longer, curse the fates.  Lived about 3 miles east of 95 on Ohio Match for many years, but had to relocate to CA.  It was a family matter.
I also had a place north on 57 at Gleason Mackabe road, about 3 miles east also.
At one time I owned October Country.  It's changed a bit since then.
Joe, I have heard a lot of people talk about using compressed air.  Never tried it.  My method was to wipe out the barrel with a dry patch, pop a few caps until I could see a reaction in the dirt, water, snow or whatever was convenient, then load and go for the gusto.  Never had misfires.  And for hunting, I always used musket caps.

Idaholewis:

--- Quote from: Ohio Joe on September 22, 2019, 12:45:24 AM ---With my TC Hawken, I always try to work a pipe cleaner in through the nipple hole, then use my small air compressor to blow out the barrel with my hand cupped over the muzzle with the nozzle in the bore - then run another pipe cleaner to make sure all is dried out... Never had an issue with the ol' TC Hawken.

--- End quote ---

They will Run Trouble free as long as you pay attention to this Patented Breech, and Fire Channel area.

I mention the use of a little Hand held Steam Cleaner quite often. Below was From a used Rifle, New to me. I did my Normal Cleaning it in a Bucket of Tap water, This Rifle was like new, Bore was Perfect. It didn’t take no time and i was pulling Cotton White Patches. I decided to Go Through the Nipple Hole With Steam from my little Hand held Steam Cleaner, I wanted to see if I could get Anything else out of it? I was ABSOLUTELY sure i had it Clean, and Fact is i did have the Bore Clean  :bl th up

Little Hand Held Steam Cleaner, this is an Old Picture, i was just Showing a way to effectively get Straight through the Nipple, i have since done away with the Tubing, No need for it

A Flush Nipple, A Piece of High heat Silicone Tubing, this Setup Worked REALLY REALLY well! But like I mentioned above i gave up on it, i get the same Results without messing with it, But this is Another option  :bl th up

Here is what came from the Fire Channel, Patented Breech of the CLEAN Rifle i just spoke of above, This is what i got after a Deep Steam Cleaning. To say i was Shocked would be an understatement. This came from the Fire Channel, And Patented Breech, I had the Bore METICULOUSLY Clean. No wonder you hear of Hangfires, These things need Cleaned!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version